SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is it called a hero/ sub/ or hoagie where you are?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
(And did you know that in RI, you can have a cabinet with your grinder...I mean, a milkshake?)

That had better be a coffee cabinet!!! ;)
#31 - January 31, 2011, 09:48 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Sub in Oklahoma.
#32 - February 01, 2011, 06:11 AM

jenniferfisher

In Atlantic City, NJ, it's the World Famous White House SUB Shop
#33 - February 01, 2011, 06:40 AM

DeirdreK

I thought PoBoys were deep fried balls of fish?
#34 - February 01, 2011, 06:47 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
That had better be a coffee cabinet!!! ;)

Is there any other flavor? :yup
#35 - February 01, 2011, 06:47 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Sub in WI. We also do pop and bubbler here. :)

Now, I'd love to see what you all call "sloppy joes." I've heard at least four different terms for that. But that's not Liz's question.

I have to use this guy:  :hairdude

#36 - February 01, 2011, 06:47 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
It's a Grinder in Connecticut. (My New York family calls them Heros. They laugh at us.) :yup
#37 - February 01, 2011, 07:28 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
In NJ, it's a sub or a hoagie. In fact, a local(ish) landmark is called "Hoagie Haven." Laurie

Yes, Laurie!  That's the one DH mentioned when I asked him!
#38 - February 01, 2011, 07:54 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Found this, from the Harvard University Dialect Survey: http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_64.html
There are a lot of other interesting surveys on word use/dialect there.
#39 - February 01, 2011, 08:29 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Sub in Missouri, though the ones you buy in the grocery store deli section are called poorboys.
#40 - February 01, 2011, 09:12 AM

ecb

Now, I'd love to see what you all call "sloppy joes."

We call them sloppy joes, but, um, we don't make them like you do. :/ Ours--and this is a FAMILY thing, not a regional one!--are ground beef + a can of chicken gumbo soup, and OMG are they good! In fact, I have the ingredients to make them tonight (good blizzard dining! :dr).
#41 - February 01, 2011, 09:49 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Sub in Buffalo
#42 - February 01, 2011, 10:57 AM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

We call them sloppy joes, but, um, we don't make them like you do. :/ Ours--and this is a FAMILY thing, not a regional one!--are ground beef + a can of chicken gumbo soup, and OMG are they good! In fact, I have the ingredients to make them tonight (good blizzard dining! :dr).

Hey, that's how I make sloppy joes! Except I add a couple tablespoons of ketchup and mustard, too.

In CO it's subs. And "pop" not soda. Have no idea what tonic is supposed to be.
#43 - February 01, 2011, 04:41 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

We always called the Subway type sandwich a sub, but there was something quite different that a school used to sell in the Chicago area they called a hoagie and claimed that it had Scottish roots. They could have been full of it, but the sandwiches were something I would murder for today. We used to buy a ton and freeze then - and they were good defrosted! I can't imagine how. The hoagie came on a thick, six inch roll of some sort and was packed with spiced meats, onions and cheeses.
#44 - February 01, 2011, 04:50 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Sub! I'm in Seattle. :) And we have Gyro's, said "YEER-o" here, but no heros. ;)
#45 - February 01, 2011, 04:57 PM
Robin

Sub! I'm in Seattle. :) And we have Gyro's, said "YEER-o" here, but no heros. ;)
That's a Greek pitta thing, right? An entirely different animal.
#46 - February 01, 2011, 04:59 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Poster Plus
Found this, from the Harvard University Dialect Survey: http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_64.html
There are a lot of other interesting surveys on word use/dialect there.

I always find these kind of discussions fascinating...this sandwich thing is most certainly due to regional cultural variations, I think.

Wouldn't the ingredients for a "Grinder" be different from what's in a "Poor Boy," etc?

For example "Grinder" implies tough bread you have to "grind" with your teeth. But Subway uses soft bread.

I looked up "Poor Boy" on Wikipedia and there was a picture of French bread filled with fried shrimp. I probably wouldn't call that a sub...probably just "fried shrimp sandwich."
#47 - February 01, 2011, 05:38 PM

SeeShelle

From CT, we usually call them grinders... except if they were from WaWa (Krausers now) -- then they are hoagies.

#48 - February 01, 2011, 06:13 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin

I have a recipe for them that uses chicken gumbo, too. But I have a different one I use more often. Hope yours were great.  :burger :burger :burger --As close as I can get. :)

I've heard them called:

Sloppy joes (the term that seems most universal)
Hot tamales
A college friend from Chicago called them "crumble burgers."
And if you're from here, they're Spanish Hamburgers. Anybody outside this town goes "What's a Spanish Hamburger?" So I'd be interested to know if anybody uses this term.
#49 - February 02, 2011, 08:29 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
Sloppy Joes are different by me =NJ    they are a deli sandwich with 3 meats and coleslaw and Russian dressing on rye bread

http://millburn.patch.com/articles/battle-of-the-nj-style-sloppy-joe-sandwiches

and then there's the ground beef Manwich-type on a hamburger bun.
#50 - February 03, 2011, 07:55 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
Another vote for plain old sandwich in southern California. Even at Subway, we just call them sandwiches.
#51 - February 03, 2011, 09:43 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
We have grinders in Tucson. You eat them with your Eegees.
#52 - February 12, 2011, 04:19 PM
www.Facebook.com/MythRiderBook
- 4RV Publishing, April 2015
NO MORE MR. DAWDLE (Caramel Tree, April 2015)
UNGLUED (Caramel Tree, June 2015)

The sandwiches at Subway are called "subs" in Melbourne, Australia (including in the TV commercials).  :)

However, I've only heard the word "sub" in relation to Subway products. For any other sandwich of the same shape and size, I would normally call it a "roll" or "breadroll."
#53 - March 03, 2011, 03:19 AM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

kidlit59

Suburban Philly it's a hoagie. I'm in another country now and still say hoagie and my husband, who is Bahamian, looks at me like I'm crazy. Slightly off topic, I used to say MAC machine but no one outside of PA knew what I was referring to. It seemed to be ATM everywhere else.

Ha, ha, I'm from outside Philly and I do that, too! I still tell my daughters, "Just use your MAC card."

It is hoagie down here, but drive a couple of hours north in PA and it's sub. It's soda down here, but up there, it's pop. What a difference a couple of hours of driving makes!
#54 - March 04, 2011, 07:37 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
In the Houston, TX area subs or po' boys (which stands for poor boys).  Po'boys can be used as a term for any type of sub sandwich but is especially used for anything with a Louisiana flavor to it, seafood and fried or roasted meat sandwiches.
#55 - April 14, 2011, 12:17 AM

Members: