New!
#1 - February 06, 2011, 06:52 AM
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:22 PM by Jsmlina »

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Go for it.  Write it in whatever person feels natural.  You can always go back later and revise the dialogue.
#2 - February 06, 2011, 07:08 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
If your book is in an alternate universe, what is there to be "authentic" about? It's your book. Make it true to the story and accessible to the reader. :)

I don't think any language is "stilted" if you consider it within its own time and culture. Once upon a time, "thee" and "thou" were fresh and used by everybody--"you" was the highfalutin' style to talk in. (Think of all the languages that still keep both of those forms--thou/tu/du/ты is familiar and relaxed, whereas Sie/Ud./вы are more formal, for polite situations where you don't know people well.) Latin=based words are considered higher register in English than Germanic-based ones. But those same Latin-based words are everyday words in Spanish because they don't have that distinction. To my ears, little kids use some awfully big words in Spanish. :) But to them, they're just normal. So if you're writing about a made-up culture, I think you can get away with very accessible language, if that's what you're going for.

Go with what feels natural and lets the reader connect with the story.
#3 - February 06, 2011, 07:09 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
If your book is in an alternate universe, what is there to be "authentic" about? It's your book. Make it true to the story and accessible to the reader. :)

Yes!!
#4 - February 06, 2011, 10:05 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Jsmlina

Thanks!
#5 - February 09, 2011, 01:03 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RAE
  • SCBWI Region newmexico
I used first-person voice for my novel about the pre-Columbian Maya, The Well of Sacrifice. It works for me, and I never heard any complaints or criticisms. If anything, I think it's easier to use a first-person voice for an ancient or non-English-speaking culture. I simply assumed that they talked in a casual way and used modern English, including contractions (but no slang of course). When writing about, say, Shakespeare's time, it's much more challenging to catch the flavor of the time and still make it understandable to modern readers.
#6 - April 04, 2011, 12:42 PM
Chris Eboch
The Eyes of Pharaoh: a mystery in ancient Egypt
The Well of Sacrifice: a Mayan adventure
http://www.chriseboch.com

Members: