SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

blatant newbie question

Discussion started on

Lady Tea

So sorry for calling attention myself with such a basic thing, but... I'm not receiving any notifications to threads that I create or reply to, even though I *think* I have the notification option turned on for my account.  Eeep. Help?
#1 - February 08, 2011, 08:59 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Well, here is a really basic answer: Are you clicking on "Show new replies to your posts" and "Show unread posts since last visit" in the User Info box at the top of the page?

I hope I haven't insulted you with this answer. I am not the most technically advanced person and I didn't notice these two options for quite a while after I started here.  :lol2

Good Luck.

Laurel
#2 - February 08, 2011, 09:13 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:welcome Lady Tea!

Pons has explained the way this board is set up to work. Your question is a very valid one! The board does have a notification system in place. Unfortunately, for some reason that I have never been able to uncover, if that feature is activated on the board, every single person who requests a notification email... gets their notification and I get a duplicate one in my mailbox!

If you look at the number of active people registered on this message board - 1,983 of them - then you will instantly understand why I have turned off that feature on the board. My IN box was totally swamped by duplicates of everyone's notification emails! Sorry... you will need to use those "show posts" links instead of the email feature. If you don't see those links on the top of your screen, make sure the little arrow button to the left of the HOME button is pointing UP. If it's down, the header of your message board will be hidden from your view and you won't have those links.

I hope this helps your dilemma....

:verla Verla Kay
#3 - February 08, 2011, 09:27 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Lady Tea

Ooooh!
Yes, I've been using those links to figure out what I've missed since the last time I logged on, but I was expecting email notifications because that's how other forums work.
I'm sorry that you got spammed - I can totally understand why you'd deactivate the feature - but Yay! for me not being as helpless as I thought.  ;)
#4 - February 08, 2011, 09:36 AM

Members: