SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Ifreelance

Discussion started on

Karl_Diaz

Anyone use ifreelance.com ? I am getting ready to give it a try, because I need to hunt down some paid freelance work. Any suggestions on where to find legit paid freelance work?
#1 - February 21, 2011, 08:42 PM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
From what I know of Ifreelance, it's a bidding war. Basically the cheapest person gets the job. Make no mistake that the people looking to hire on Ifreelance are generally looking to get more than what they are willing to pay for. So be careful if you go this route. If you bid the cheapest you may get the job, but be sure to get at least half of your money up front(non refundable), limit the number of revisions before they have to pay you more and make sure everything is in writing before you do anything. These kind of sites can tend to take advantage of artists in desperate positions. Be careful and know your worth above anything else!

E-mail me if you have any questions! wilson at doublewillustrations.com   There are other ways to get freelance work. Good legit freelance work.

-Wilson
#2 - February 26, 2011, 05:42 PM

KoalaWalli

I wouldn't do it, its not worth the effort. You create great work, only to sell it real cheap. That time would be better suited developing your portfolio and honing your skills.
#3 - February 27, 2011, 09:04 AM

Karl_Diaz

Thanks for the heads up guys. Yeah I signed up for a little while but I am covering my self to see how it goes. So far yeah it's a bidding war, however some of the work I have lost to people charging more then me, more experience and bigger portfolios. Yeah still looking for paid freelance work, would really like to get paid for doing some art.
#4 - March 03, 2011, 11:03 AM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Karl, what are you doing to promote yourself?
#5 - March 04, 2011, 12:31 PM

Karl_Diaz

Right now? not much not really sure where to begin. I started a better online portfolio, still needs a little work, and I am trying the ifreelance thing but other then that I am pretty much in the dark.
#6 - March 04, 2011, 02:53 PM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Karl, there are a lot of things you can do in the Illustration field. What specific aspect of the market do you want to get into? Do you want to do advertising work, childrens books, t-shirts, games, character design, fantasy work, toys, licensed work, editorial, romance novel covers, etc? Do you have any idea which area you want to go into?
#7 - March 05, 2011, 03:56 AM

Karl_Diaz

Good question W I enjoy it all but I guess if I had to narrow it down I would like to get into  childrens books and/or theme park concept arts 
#8 - March 11, 2011, 12:04 PM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Good question W I enjoy it all but I guess if I had to narrow it down I would like to get into  childrens books and/or theme park concept arts 

Ok, you are going for two completely different fields. the portfolio you would need for one will be nothing like the portfolio you would need for the other. I'm not familiar with theme park concepts. How they work? How they are proposed and contracted out. You'll have to do some digging to find out what you need to know. Do you know of anyone who is doing this or has done it in the past. If so, then you need to do research on them and maybe even e-mail them for advice or some direction.

Childrens Books is a lot easier to find information on, but a lot harder to actually break into. You can find any number of books, websites, articles and reference books geared specifically towards breaking in to Childrens Books and what is required. The library, google and SCBWI are your friends. So hit the web and library to find what you need. I imagine you can even find older threads on here that will list specific books and web sites for reference.
#9 - March 12, 2011, 10:15 PM

KoalaWalli

I have a question Wilson. I've been sending my portfolio out via email. I get responses such as We will keep your work on file. Is that a good response? And will I ever anticipate them contacting, if and when they want to decide to use my artwork?
#10 - March 14, 2011, 02:11 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
saw this and thought I would answer- that is par for the course - art directors maintain real files, large bulleltin boards in their offices  and internet bookmark websites they like to look through when they are picking illustrators for a job- it could be next week, next year or never- I send postcards every 3 months and on holidays- to remind them of what I do-
#11 - March 14, 2011, 07:22 PM

KoalaWalli

Cool. Thanks for the response. I definitely keep updating my portfolio.
#12 - March 15, 2011, 12:30 AM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
I have a question Wilson. I've been sending my portfolio out via email. I get responses such as We will keep your work on file. Is that a good response? And will I ever anticipate them contacting, if and when they want to decide to use my artwork?

Julia is on the money. This is a good response! The people whom you have e-mailed and have responded favorably make sure you continue sending them e-mails every three to four months. I wouldn't do more than that. Don't let them forget you. But don't sit back waiting for them to call. Their are literally thousands of publishers out there. Continue to network, refine your work and continue approaching as many publishers as you can that your work suits. Persistence and marketing are just as important as talent in our industry!
#13 - March 15, 2011, 01:04 AM

KoalaWalli

I have another question. Is it necessary to include a dummy illustrated book in your portfolio?
#14 - March 15, 2011, 10:35 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
no- you can include 3 illustration that tell a story and establish you know who to illustrate the same character in different postions-
and I assume you mean an online web portfiolio- there is not much passsing of literal portfolios anymore - or mailing- full portfolios-  more postcards directing AD to your website-
those who want to be an author illustrator- work on dummies- but usually send them to agents or publishers- to try and sell them - not to get other work so much.
#15 - March 15, 2011, 11:33 AM

KoalaWalli

Thanks for the response
#16 - March 15, 2011, 01:08 PM

Members: