SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

picture book dummy

Discussion started on

kathym44

Just completed my first pb dummy - actually not my first- since I have done a couple before (but that was a loooooong time ago).   Though it was a little frustrating at first, it was thoroughly satisfying to see my story laid out like a real book!  My 11yr.old daughter, who loves to draw, asked if she could draw the pictures.  Even if my manuscript never gets published, it will still feel nice having this little treasure that we collaborated on.

On a side note...  Last night when I was working on it, my dh saw me feverishly cutting and taping, and asked what I was doing.  Half-listening I said, "Working on a picture book dummy."  He looked at me with an annoyed look.  Apparently what he heard was "I'm working on a picture book, dummy!  He wasn't too happy until I explained.     :hahaha   
#1 - February 01, 2011, 01:14 PM

kathym44

Just for myself.  Thankfully I've been researching like a mad dog and trying to learn as much as possible, so I know that sending art is a "no-no" Also, I wouldn't ever send a dummy to a publisher unless they asked, correct?  Thanks for looking out for me.  I'm trying to be as educated as possible, and get everything as perfect as possible before I even attempt to send it out.   
#2 - February 01, 2011, 01:25 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Ha, ha!  That's great!!

The first PB dummy I made (I'm no illustrator, but wanted to storyboard it for pacing and all that), my oldest daughter ended up drawing pictures on it.  It's fun to have in the file cabinet (especially because she's a much better artist than I am!)
#3 - February 01, 2011, 01:26 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Aw, thanks!  Stick figures are about as advanced as I ever got! 

But it's sort of funny -- DD has expressed a dream where she gets to illustrate my first published book.  So cute!  (Course, she could well be an accomplished artist by the time I get there  :wheelchair:) 
#4 - February 01, 2011, 01:50 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Oh Jen, I think you draw the best stick figures around!! (and I'm not making fun, they're adorable, and your composition was really sweet!)

I find making a dummy always helps me to see where the writing needs cutting or more clarity. it's a good exercise whether you're an illustrator or not.

and yes, lots of room for misunderstandings when talking about dummies.  ;)  I also see novelists talking about PBs, but meaning paperbacks...first time I saw that on a thread I thought woah, pretty heavy subject matter for a picture book...then I clued in.  :slaphead:
#5 - February 01, 2011, 01:56 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

MelissaIveyStaehli

Too funny!!  Thanks for sharing kathy444!

:hahaha

Melissa~
#6 - March 30, 2011, 04:14 PM

Members: