SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Would this topic be acceptable to any older kids' magazines?

Discussion started on

Whitehorse

Hi, All,

I've read a ton of submission guidelines for various magazines, and some state clearly which topics are not appropriate for that magazine (usually based age range), but others don't. I wondered if anyone here knew if there were magazines for older kids (middle grade/young adult) that would accept a story about a soldier home on leave from Afghanistan. I don't talk in detail about the violence of the war in it, but war is also not glorified in any way. It's simply the story of a young soldier who decides to do something nice for a kid only slightly younger than he is, and it helps him work through his own feelings of disconnectedness when he comes home on leave. And yes, it is important that he be a solider and not some other profession.

Many thanks for any insights you can give. It's a great story, and I'd love to send it somewhere.

:thankyou
#1 - March 25, 2011, 04:42 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
If you're talking fiction here, try Cicada or Hunger Mountain. There really aren't a whole lot of magazines that publish YA fiction. Oh, or maybe Boys' Life, if there's a lot of action as well as angst in it... It sounds interesting, and important--I hope you find a publisher for it!
#2 - March 25, 2011, 10:35 AM
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:49 AM by ColoradoKate »

Though it does sound like it would have worked for Boys' Life in the past, they aren't taking fiction submissions anymore.
The short fiction market grows tighter and tighter.  :press2:
Jan
#3 - March 25, 2011, 11:38 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Though it does sound like it would have worked for Boys' Life in the past, they aren't taking fiction submissions anymore.
The short fiction market grows tighter and tighter.  :press2:
Jan

Well, rats! Thanks, Jan... I stand corrected.
#4 - March 25, 2011, 11:49 AM

Whitehorse

Thank you for the suggestions, ColoradoKate. I hope I find someone for it too.

I didn't know about Hunger Mountain, and that does look like a possibility. It's a darn shame about Boys' Life though, because I think it would have fit well there, especially since this piece will definitely appeal to boys. Thanks for the update, Jan.

At least I have a couple of options now. I was worried that an ongoing/current war might be kind of a taboo subject even for older children, and even if handled carefully. It sounds like there are at least a few publications that might consider this piece.

Much appreciated.  :hearts
#5 - March 26, 2011, 03:17 PM

Members: