SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Do teens have resumes?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster
I know I didn't put one together until I was about 20, when I was applying for internships.

But how common is it for a teen to have a resume? Would they put one together for a class?
#1 - March 28, 2011, 05:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
Yes.  My Senior had to write one for a job she applied for in the mall.  There are online websites that help and my daughter used one.

Tracy
#2 - March 28, 2011, 06:10 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I think my father made me create a resume when I looking for a part-time job. That would've been when I was about 16.
#3 - March 28, 2011, 06:13 PM
Katie L. Carroll

Pirate Island - MG adventure
Elixir Bound - YA Fantasy
www.katielcarroll.com

Poster Plus
My senior son had to do one for a class. It was so he could hand it to teachers he asked for college recommendations to look at it as well as college recruiters and, of course, to go looking for a job!
#4 - March 28, 2011, 06:34 PM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Poster Plus
The last play I directed (which I cast just over a year ago) had an all teen cast.  A twelve-year old boy came to the auditions with a full page printed resume of his past performing experiences.  I had never met a kid with a resume before.  (I gave him the lead and I was NOT sorry, the kid was just as good on stage as he was on paper!)
#5 - March 28, 2011, 06:50 PM

Member.
Poster
Thanks everyone! My MC is 17, so this is perfect!

The last play I directed (which I cast just over a year ago) had an all teen cast.  A twelve-year old boy came to the auditions with a full page printed resume of his past performing experiences.

And wow! That was definitely not me at 12!
#6 - March 28, 2011, 07:04 PM

YA & Spec Fic Writer
Poster Plus
I definitely had a resume when I first started looking for part time work, which was when I was either 16 or 17 (I don't remember for sure).  My mom helped me figure out how to write it, of course.  :)
#7 - March 28, 2011, 09:05 PM
YA paranormal, sci fi, & fantasy:
GIVE UP THE GHOST
Fallen World series
Earth & Sky trilogy
A MORTAL SONG
http://www.megancrewe.com

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
I wrote my first resume when I was 16 and applied for my first part time job.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#8 - March 28, 2011, 10:13 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Member.
Poster
 :thankyou
#9 - March 29, 2011, 08:29 AM

I think teens who perform are more likely to have resumes. My son also had one at 12.
#10 - March 29, 2011, 11:14 AM
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
My three teens had to have a resume when they competed in Academic Decathlon.
#11 - March 29, 2011, 11:19 AM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

I wrote one when I was in HS to go after summer jobs. My son put one together in 8th grade to expand his lawn business. It was a good way for him to list references.
#12 - March 29, 2011, 12:01 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I saw many from high school seniors when I was part of an admissions group for a college program. It wasn't required as part of their admission, but they could submit one if they wanted to. From what I remember, about half did.
#13 - March 29, 2011, 08:33 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
When I saw the title of this post, my initial reaction was, "Gosh, I hope not."

Then I read the comments. Immediately, I realized that any child who is trying to work in a profession--say, modeling, acting or the other performing arts--would almost certainly have one.

But for minimum-wage part-time unskilled work? Wow, that blows my mind. When I was 16 and got my first such job, I didn't have a resume, and neither did my friends.
#14 - April 01, 2011, 12:07 PM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Then I read the comments. Immediately, I realized that any child who is trying to work in a profession--say, modeling, acting or the other performing arts--would almost certainly have one.

My son has two resumes - one for his modeling work and one for his yard work.
#15 - April 01, 2011, 02:17 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

When I was in high school (during the 2000s) we had a special class one semester about workplace and consumer issues. From memory, one of our assessment tasks was compiling a resume (although we had to call it a CV). Most of us listed competitions and sporting achievements, rather than actual work experience.
#16 - April 01, 2011, 04:56 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

Member.
Poster Plus
Also if you do any type of clerical or secretarial work as I did as a teenager you will probably have a resume.
#17 - April 13, 2011, 11:52 PM

Just reviving this because I received a message via Facebook from a student friend of mine.  She's sixteen years old and she asked me if I was around later to help her compose her Curriculum Vitae.  Sometimes I feel too much is expected of young people.  How much experience can someone of that age have?  I will help her as much as I can, but I can't imagine it will be easy.  She hasn't even finished school yet!
I thought I would get her to mention any experience including babysitting and shop work, if she has any.  Plus any exam results.  Also she will be sitting exams in the next fortnight.  I would probably suggest she say: results pending.
What do you think?
#18 - May 31, 2011, 04:48 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Thundering Elephants, maybe any classes she has taken that were business oriented or say foreign language classes.  Also her gpa and any awards she has won.  I wouldn't necessarily say results pending for her exams as her gpa will tell prospective employers what her grades are like.   Students today do an amazing amount of volunteer work or church mission work.  Make sure she lists all of that.  Also of course references, even if they are from a  teacher or even the clergy rather than strictly business/work references.  I worked on the Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizen awards committee and some students today have multi-page resumes of all their school and volunteer activities even if they never worked a paying job before. 
#19 - June 01, 2011, 10:52 PM

My son had to write one in his first year of high school just to apply for student government a couple of months ago. He's now updated it and used it to apply for summer jobs.
#20 - June 24, 2011, 12:11 PM

It's not unusual for child performers to have a resume -- i think it's often required. It's a list of previous performances. I researched this for a writing project last fall (sadly dead in the water).
#21 - June 24, 2011, 01:33 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
My 19 yo daughter had to write a resume for a position at the local library.  She used mine as a model which as an RN writer almost gave her hives until I helped her fine tune and write her limited experience in a more reasonable way.  (But now she has a better grip on all that 'ed-ju-ka-shun and work hiis-tree' that her mama had to go through to buy her stuff.)
#22 - July 18, 2011, 05:37 AM

Members: