SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Tear sheet prep

Discussion started on

Simon_Turnbull

Hi everyone,

I'm prepping some submission materials and due to inexperience I'm not sure how to proceed. I thought maybe someone could give me their thoughts.

I've got a bunch of old magazine pages and whatnot I can scan to make tearsheets, but I've also got a perfect bound book here.  It's new, and I'd really like to  include some of this work, but to get a good scan I'd have to break the book's spine (which I don't really want to do). Or I could just fold the pages and scan it, but there would be a shadow down the side of the pages, pretty ugly.

My question is this: Do you think it is acceptable to send tearsheet materials with that scan shadow, or should I just bite the bullet and rip the book up?

Thanks in advance for any advice. It's my first post here, so hello too.  :)
#1 - April 03, 2011, 01:00 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Welcome Simon-
your stuff is great, as is your website- don't you have original art that you can scan- not a rescan of a book or magazine tearsheet- these days you don't see a lot of AD asking for tearsheets- which in theory they send back to you- more likely to send a postcard directing them to your website- and some want prints- so color prints of your original artwork would be best. If you don't have digital files of all your original work- that is a good thing to build up-- so when someone requests it- you got it. If you have published work- you can still do a print of the original and then note on it- it was in the XYZ August magazine or whatever.
#2 - April 03, 2011, 07:42 AM

Simon_Turnbull

Thanks Julia. My thinking is influenced by my experience in the  game industry , where screenshots are a great way to demonstrate to potential clients that you have experience in dealing with the myriad of problems that always come up in production. You're right, tearsheets are pretty old fashioned, but sometimes the old ways are the good ways. :)
#3 - April 05, 2011, 07:26 PM

Simon_Turnbull

If anyone is interested, further research has indicated that the term tearsheet is used today to simply refer to all manner of printed promo materials, sample prints, pamphlets etc.
#4 - June 02, 2011, 07:17 PM

Members: