SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

illustrator's postcards to magazines--what to write on there??

Discussion started on

D.Diorio

Hi! I already sent out illustration packages to magazines a few months ago and am about to update with a postcard mailing. Do any illustrators know what (if anything) I should write inside and how (handwritten or??). Or should I just leave it blank? (My name, website and contact info are already printined on them.)

Many thanks! :rainbow
#1 - April 04, 2011, 02:58 PM

carlynnw

Interesting question!  It's probably fine to just leave them blank if your website and contact info is printed on them, but it you have the name of a specific editor or art director, maybe one or two handwritten sentences would be nice.  Something along the lines of, "Hope you enjoyed the samples I sent in [x month].  Please keep me in mind for future assignments at [y magazine].  Best!"
#2 - April 04, 2011, 04:32 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
I hand write addresses on my postcards-- might catch the AD's eye- and if it is a holiday- I might write "Happy Holidays" or " enjoy your summer" etc.
#3 - April 04, 2011, 08:58 PM

D.Diorio

Thank you both for those helpful replies! That is exactly what I'll do... I had also thought that a personal handwritten note would be more personable, so thanks for confirming that. Great minds think alike :thankyou
#4 - April 07, 2011, 02:51 AM

Members: