SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Where was your first magazine submission, and first acceptance?

Discussion started on

For anyone who wouldn't mind sharing, to what magazine did you send your first submission, and where was your first acceptance, if different? Any other details welcome. I'm asking from the point of view of someone just starting to submit, and trying to navigate and understand the market.

For me: first submission = fiction (ages 3-6), Stories for Children

(not published)
#1 - April 19, 2011, 04:56 PM

coffeeluvr

My first magazine submission was to Stories for Children Magazine.  It was a poem and was published a few months later. 

My first PAID publishing credit was for a poem in Highlights High Five.  It was published about a year after acceptance.

As you probably know, SFC is now a paying market but wasn't when I first subbed there.
#2 - April 19, 2011, 05:42 PM

feecaro

My first magazine submission was a short story to LADYBUG.  It was rejected.  My first acceptance was a NF article for BOYS' QUEST, and it was the first thing I'd ever subbed there... though I have gone on to gather some rejections from them for other things :-)

Carolyn
#3 - April 19, 2011, 07:19 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
My first submission was a short story to Seventeen. They held it for a long time, rejected it, had a non-fiction article on something mentioned in the story.   :laugh

My first sale was a short story to 'Teen.

Both these examples show you how things were when I started writing, as I don't think either magazine even has fiction any more, or if they ever do they don't accept submissions.   I miss short stories in magazines.  I used to like reading the short-shorts in my mother's Good Housekeepings.  :cry2
#4 - April 19, 2011, 08:13 PM

My first submission was to HIGHLIGHTS.  Carolyn Yoder gave me great feedback with a rejection, but it didn't take long for me to realize that that story didn't really fit the HIGHLIGHTS mold anyway.  Made some adjustments and submitted the story to CRICKET where it was finally accepted.   :mouse  —three years later, I finally got to see it in print.   :inbox:
#5 - April 20, 2011, 05:56 AM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My first submission and acceptance was in Appleseeds. I've since been published in Cobblestone and Faces too - love the Carus magazines! I think the themes really help you narrow down getting into an appropriate magazine/issue.
#6 - April 20, 2011, 06:10 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
My first submission and acceptance was a nonfiction article to Highlights. The editors there are wonderful and really help you bring the best out of your work. Laurie
#7 - April 20, 2011, 06:31 AM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

Poster Plus
My first submission was Highlights - rec'd a 'scale card'  Anyone remember those?

First acceptance was Ladybug - still waiting to see story in print = it's been over 7 years since contract.
#8 - April 20, 2011, 06:41 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
My first submission was to Boys' Life, and was an ICL writing assignment that my instructor recommend I send out. That submission ended with a rejection. My first acceptance was a short story I submitted to Young Rider. In hindsight, it doesn't surprise me. Deep down, I'm still a horse crazy kid.
#9 - April 20, 2011, 06:48 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
My first (and many other) submission was to the New Yorker. :)

My dad always said to start at the top.

My first acceptance was The Writer.

That's glossies. I've published in tons of littles since then.

Those markets are drying up, sadly. I don't think I'll submit that way anymore. Once my book is out, and if it does well, I'm publishing spin-off shorts and novellas as e-pubs. Back stories, etc.
#10 - April 20, 2011, 07:05 AM
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

Can't recall my first submission, but my first acceptance was SKIPPING STONES. It's a multicultural magazine and they published the non-fiction version of my husband's childhood escape from Laos across the Mekong River. It's pretty cool because the historical fiction version of that river crossing is now chapter one of Escaping The Tiger.
#11 - April 20, 2011, 07:17 AM
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:37 AM by Laura Manivong »
ESCAPING THE TIGER, Bank Street's "Best Books of the Year"
http://lauramanivong.wordpress.com

My first submission was also The New Yorker. Yes, high hopes!

My first acceptance was with The Greensilk Journal, where my story LOCKED AWAY also earned an editor's choice award.
#12 - April 20, 2011, 07:17 AM
www.denisejaden.com  
Losing Faith & Never Enough (Simon Pulse)
Writing With A Heavy Heart (2012)
Fast Fiction (NWL 2014)
Foreign Exchange (ET 2014)

My first acceptance was a short story I submitted to Young Rider. In hindsight, it doesn't surprise me. Deep down, I'm still a horse crazy kid.

You and me both!  :horse:

And that's awesome, Denise!  Congrats!
#13 - April 20, 2011, 07:31 AM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
I have no clue where my first submission was to. That was back in the early nineties when I was just getting my feet wet and submitting to both grown-up and children's magazines. My first children's acceptance was in 1993 to R.A.D.A.R. (Standard Publishing).  So many magazines have closed since then. I published quite a few things with Standard Publishing up until I guess about 1999 or so.
#14 - April 20, 2011, 07:39 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
My first submission and publication was to Mediphors: A Literary Journal of Health Care Professionals. That was around 15 years ago. My short story was later rewritten from a teen's viewpoint and became my first published novel. (2007)

My first children's story submission was to Flicker. It was rejected, so I subbed it to Cricket. That story was published in 1998, I think. It was really cool to recieve hand written letters from readers.
#15 - April 20, 2011, 08:40 AM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

AnitaY

My first acceptance was Kahani- a literary magazine for children and later Highlights. Some pieces have been published in parenting magazines such as New Jersey Parent, Homeschoolers Guide and Calgary's child. No matter what- don't give up! I also have a collection of rejections.  :)
#16 - April 20, 2011, 10:37 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing! It is both educational and inspirational to hear the stories from first sub to first acceptance.
#17 - April 20, 2011, 10:44 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I couldn't tell you my first submission, but my first acceptance came on my 8th submission.  It was to Highlights.  I think the fact that it was nonfiction helped.  I have still never sold fiction to Highlights.
#18 - April 20, 2011, 10:45 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

My first acceptance was from Appleseeds magazine. 2003?
#19 - April 20, 2011, 11:14 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
My first submissions were to Adventure Kayak Magazine (How to pee out of a kayak) and Dogs in Canada magazine (Frozen Turd Wars)

and I both got accepted on the SAME DAY! Both sitting there in my inbox all glowing and happy. :dollar

I now use this story in my author talks to say that my career began in the toilet. It's a good ice breaker.
 :moose
#20 - April 20, 2011, 11:18 AM
ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
FALCON WILD, 2017, Charlesbridge
SLED DOG SCHOOL, 2017, HMH
SURVIVOR DIARIES, 2017, HMH

www.terrylynnjohnson.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
My first submission was to Highlights about 3 years ago.  I received a rejection but knowing more about the market today, I probably won't be able to place that story.

My first publication was in late 2009 - middle-grade multicultural holiday fiction in Kahani magazine.  Nonpaying but a quality multicultural magazine.  I love that magazine and wish it were still around. 

My first paid publication was in 2010 - middle-grade nonfiction in Guardian Angel Kids, an online magazine.

Late last year, I received my first acceptance from Hopscotch for Girls  -- middle-grade multicultural sports fiction.  And while I still haven't had work published in Highlights, I feel like I'm starting to do a little better -- late last year, I received a personal note from the fiction editor on a rejected piece and I just received a bear card for another piece of fiction (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!)  :crossedfingers     
#21 - April 20, 2011, 12:21 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Poster Plus
My first acceptance was from Nature Friend- many years ago. Submitted in Nov. and it was published April. That was nice to see it in print so quickly.
#22 - April 20, 2011, 12:42 PM

MaryWitzl

My first magazine publication was in 2003, MotherVerse  (which sadly no longer exists). I submitted dozens of pieces to other magazines, including The New Yorker, Highlights, and Spider, (we all have to learn, don't we?). 
#23 - April 20, 2011, 12:52 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I can't remember my first submission for sure, but it was probably Highlights or Spider.

My first acceptance was a rebus purchased by Highlights last year. It's scheduled for an issue later this year.
#24 - April 20, 2011, 01:49 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
My first submission was to Babybug in 2007 -- a rejection.

My second submission was in 2009. I sent different submissions (all poetry) to Babybug and to High Five in January. In April, I heard back from High Five -- request for revision on one of my poems, which I did and was eventually accepted. In November, I heard back from Babybug -- one poem accepted. The Babybug poem was published in September 2010. The High Five poem hasn't been published yet, although I have another thing (a later submission) that will be in the July issue (yay!)

So far, all my acceptances have been poetry, but I think I've been very lucky in that. I'm trying to make a change to write more nonfiction because I think it has a much greater chance of selling.

Carrie
#25 - April 20, 2011, 06:23 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

My first magazine sub was a "My Turn" piece to Newsweek in summer of 2002. It got rejected.

My first acceptance was a "My Turn" essay to Newsweek in the fall of 2002. It got accepted.

ETA: Actually, now I'm not positive that Newsweek was my very first sub. It's hard to remember, but I think I had some other things out and that's the one I remember.
#26 - April 20, 2011, 06:32 PM
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:16 PM by Lenzi »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My first subs, all on the same day, were stories to Highlights and to the late, lamented Guideposts for Kids and Wee Ones--remember them? My first sale was a fiction contest (losing) entry, to Highlights.
#27 - April 20, 2011, 09:54 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
My first writing sale was a humorous filler to Arizona Highways in February 1993. It was one of my first submissions (maybe even the first, but I'm not sure). My first children's sale was a puzzle to On The Line in November 1994.
#28 - April 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My first submission and acceptance was to Wee Ones Magazine. They published a St. Patrick's Day poem of mine, and I was SO excited when that check came!  I miss them.

My first submissions were to Adventure Kayak Magazine (How to pee out of a kayak) and Dogs in Canada magazine (Frozen Turd Wars)

Terrylynn, you totally made me laugh with those titles!  :dr
#29 - April 20, 2011, 11:42 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
My first submission was YA fiction to Teen Power back in 1990. (This was a Sunday school take home paper published by Scripture Press.) It was also my first acceptance.
#30 - April 21, 2011, 10:21 AM

Members: