SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Where was your first magazine submission, and first acceptance?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
My first submissions and acceptances were in 1995 to teacher professional journals.

My first children's sub was to Fun for Kidz in 2005, my first acceptance was to Boys' Quest in 2005, and the first time I saw magazine writing I'd been paid for in print was a poem in Dragonfly Spirit in 2006.
#31 - April 21, 2011, 12:10 PM

Lizardmaker

Since I'm writing exclusively fiction now, I'll answer in those terms:

First submission was a contemporary YA story to Scholastic Scope. Rejected.

First acceptance was a MG sci fi in Spaceports & Spidersilk.
#32 - May 01, 2011, 02:19 PM

ginbug

My first submission was to Ladybug I think--maybe Highlights...can't remember. First (and only, sadly) paid acceptance was from Pockets.
#33 - May 12, 2011, 06:17 AM

My first ever magazine submission was to the Highlights contest last year.
I just got my first magazine acceptance--from the SCBWI Bulletin.
#34 - May 12, 2011, 09:42 AM
UNICORN AND YETI: SPARKLY NEW FRIENDS, A GOOD TEAM, & FRIENDS ROCK! Coming 2019 from Scholastic Acorn

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
My first children's acceptance was in 1993 to R.A.D.A.R. (Standard Publishing).

Wow, Lill -- mine was, too, but the year was 1988. It was the first thing for children I'd ever submitted. Everything prior to that was aimed at adults.
#35 - May 12, 2011, 12:26 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Woods

:nicethread:
#36 - February 22, 2012, 02:57 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
My first submission was to Highlights.

My first acceptance was to Boys' Quest--and I'll see it in print in just a few weeks!
#37 - May 13, 2012, 07:37 PM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

YAScribe

First submission: Skipping Stones. Also my first acceptance.
#38 - May 13, 2012, 08:14 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
My first children subs were to Ladybug and Highlights. First acceptance was from Ladybug ... but first published pieces were in Odyssey.

Fun thread.
Vijaya
#39 - May 14, 2012, 06:02 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
First submission to Plays magazine and first acceptance.  :frog:
#40 - May 14, 2012, 06:02 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
My first 7 subs were to the Cricket group and denominational mags and my first acceptance was #8, to Highlights.

This was rather a long time ago now, maybe 2003???

AM
#41 - May 14, 2012, 06:05 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Mine was the first story for children I ever wrote--I sent it to Highlights, and it was bought.  I was thrilled--jumped up and down with the letter until my young daughter thought I was crazy.  I think that was about 8-9 years ago.  What a rush to see that acceptance in the mail!  Actually, it set me up something fierce because it was such a confidence booster, and of course I faced many rejections after that, but still--gotta love those Highlights people.
#42 - May 14, 2012, 07:13 AM

My first submission and acceptance was from Highlights too, for a nonfiction first person narrative piece. I had a few other rejections between the time of my submission and acceptance by Highlights, so it was a real boost. I believe that was 2004.  :)
#43 - May 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Dionna

After publishing in online children's magazines, I submitted a non-fiction article to Highlights, received personal feedback from Carolyn Yoder, resubmitted a revamp on the same subject, and SOLD IT!! That was when my daughter, who is now finishing up her first year in college, was in fifth grade!! Can you believe that article is yet to see the published-light?! (Sometimes I take out the copy I made of the check just to see if I really did sell it!  :EmoticonCuckooClock
#44 - May 14, 2012, 09:39 AM

OOooo the thread that makes me look back in the log book...  My words have never seen paper, so yeah that's pretty weird.  Anyway, first magazine submission, White Rose to Cricket rejected, but eventually accepted by Shoofly Audiobooks.  First paying submission to WeeOnesMag.com.  Yup.
#45 - May 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
Ghosts In the Night - Mackin 2019
Minnie's Green Book - HMH 2015
Mossy Marsha - Amazon
Blog: www.katherinerollins.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I love this thread. I don't have time to write magazine articles anymore now that I'm working full time but I really loved doing it because they were short and fun.

My first acceptance was Highlights too. It was for a nonfiction article on soccer.
#46 - May 14, 2012, 12:14 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

spochron

My first submission was to Highlights. I sent a science piece to Andy Boyles. One full year later, he called to ask if the piece was still for sale. It was. They bought it, and I've been writing for them ever since. Even though that first sale took so long, they've been a pleasure to work with, and that was the only article that took months to hear about. One sale I made to them took half an hour! Working with them allowed me to expand to Science News for Kids, Know (which is now out of business), and Muse.
#47 - May 14, 2012, 12:28 PM

My first pubbed magazine piece--and, I believe, the first I submitted--was to a now-out-of-business Canadian magazine called Kids Tribute. They used to offer copies for free at movie theaters in Canada, so the non-fiction piece I submitted about a sea lion who acted in TV commercials and on occasional TV sitcoms was just right for them. I happened to know the trainer so I had photos I took, too, which I'm sure helped. It was a super-easy revision process and paid really well--which I had no idea at the time would NOT be the norm!

Btw, Dionna, I also sold a non-fiction piece to Highlights: over a year's worth of revisions, and I did a happy dance for days when they accepted it  :bananadance. That was 11 years ago, and it's still waiting to be published  :whistle.  I had the pleasure of meeting Carolyn Yoder in person at a Highlights conference in Honesdale last year, so I had a chance to ask about it. She said not to worry, they had just published one that they purchased in 1993  :blink  .
#48 - May 14, 2012, 12:45 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
My first submission was to Highlights, I think 2004.
My first publication was in Stories for Children--same story, My Frieind Jingo, 2007.  :ceilingdance
#49 - May 14, 2012, 03:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I started subbing to little denominational magazines back in the late '80s.  :old  Sold my first story to one called In Touch.  My first "big" sale was to Highlights in 1995. They used the story in an anthology book.

P.S. Leslie, I sympathize--I sold a story to Highlights in 2000. Finally checked on it last year, and an editor reassured me that it was still in the active file. 
#50 - May 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:43 PM by yarnspinner »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
My first submission was a nonfiction article about eavesdropping iguanas to Highlights in 2009 I think, which was rejected. A year later I sent the article to Spider, which was accepted. It was published last summer!
#51 - May 14, 2012, 04:04 PM

Members: