SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Across the Universe

Discussion started on

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'm a little surprised not to find a thread on this one already; I'm usually the last one to read anything.

I liked this more than I expected to; although I thought some of the twists were pretty well-telegraphed beforehand, others were much bigger surprises, and it was a very complex book for a first novel.

Other thoughts?
#1 - April 26, 2011, 06:02 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

I wouldn't mind taking a ride on one of those air-blast elevators.
#2 - April 26, 2011, 08:12 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Ha - you can pretty much have one installed in your house: http://www.daytonaelevator.com/Pneumatic%20Vacuum%20Elevator%20Main%20Page.htm
#3 - April 26, 2011, 10:59 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I had the opposite reaction, Joni. I was really looking forward to it, but liked it less than I anticipated. While I liked the male MC a lot, the female MC struck me as b*tchy and childish and generally unlikeable. Plus, she asked all the wrong questions (from my perspective) about this strange place and situation in which she found herself. So, while the book had great potential, and I agree that it was well structured, I gave it a generous B-.
#4 - April 27, 2011, 07:34 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I wouldn't mind taking a ride on one of those air-blast elevators.

Ha! That does sound like fun.

I enjoyed the book a lot. That first chapter pulled me right in, and I thought she was very good about addressing all the logic points in the world she built. It seems well poised for a sequel. Is there one in the works?
#5 - April 27, 2011, 07:51 PM
NERVE  ~Truth or Dare, without the Truth~ Dial, Fall 2012
CHARISMA ~Gene Therapy Gone Bad~ Dial, Winter 2015
www.jeanneryan.com

Danyelle

Yes. She's working on it right now. I think, don't quote me, that it's going to be a trilogy.
#6 - April 27, 2011, 08:21 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I wasn't a huge fan, either.  Actually, I liked it a fair amount right after I finished it, but the more time that's passed since then, the more things about it bother me.  I think the part which didn't gel for me the most was the pacing.  It was very slow-going for most of the book, and then everything moved into hyper speed for the climax (which felt a little 'aliens in chapter 14' to me), and there wasn't a clearcut resolution.  *shrugs*

Still, the overall concept intrigues me, and I'll be picking up the second one.
#7 - April 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

cyn2write

I was so beyond excited to read this book, which was not fair to Beth, because not even the best of books could match up to my excitement.  I liked it a lot and will definitely read the next one, but I feel like such a dolt because I must be the only person who didn't quite understand the ending. I'm not going to put in any spoilers, here, but I was confused as to how the killer was able to escape detection, considering the way this person looked.  I tore through the book so I might have just missed something.... ?
#8 - April 28, 2011, 07:14 AM

I was so beyond excited to read this book, which was not fair to Beth, because not even the best of books could match up to my excitement.  I liked it a lot and will definitely read the next one, but I feel like such a dolt because I must be the only person who didn't quite understand the ending. I'm not going to put in any spoilers, here, but I was confused as to how the killer was able to escape detection, considering the way this person looked.  I tore through the book so I might have just missed something.... ?

Possible Spoilers but not really:

I think the person in question was basically in hiding. Only Elder (not Eldest) ever interacts with him, so Eldest didn't know the guy was around. I think Elder mentions something about the guy's appearance at one point, but doesn't quite connect the dots. Someone jump in if I'm getting this totally wrong.
#9 - April 28, 2011, 07:58 AM
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Possible Spoilers but not really:

I think the person in question was basically in hiding.

Yeah, but I will admit to feeling a little cheated on this, because the person does appear with someone else on the scene, and there's never a real explanation for how the person could be where they are and do what they do for that long without their presence being noticed; the logistics of this person being in hiding all that time are actually one of the book's weakest elements, in my mind, and required a pretty big suspension of disbelief.
#10 - April 28, 2011, 10:45 AM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Yeah, but I will admit to feeling a little cheated on this, because the person does appear with someone else on the scene, and there's never a real explanation for how the person could be where they are and do what they do for that long without their presence being noticed; the logistics of this person being in hiding all that time are actually one of the book's weakest elements, in my mind, and required a pretty big suspension of disbelief.

Um, exactly why I didn't feel the climax was resolved (and why it felt a little contrived, by that point).
#11 - April 28, 2011, 11:29 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Add to that the fact that every scene he was in, he acted like a creepy weirdo. It was pretty obvious he was up to no good. That might be a good way to build tension in some stories, but not with a murder mystery--those are usually supposed to keep you guessing, right?
#12 - April 28, 2011, 08:03 PM
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

cyn2write

Add to that the fact that every scene he was in, he acted like a creepy weirdo. It was pretty obvious he was up to no good. That might be a good way to build tension in some stories, but not with a murder mystery--those are usually supposed to keep you guessing, right?

Thanks so much for the explanation. I think that was the thing that had me intrigued from the first; I am a huge Agatha Christie fan, and when I heard it described at Mousetrap in outer space, well, I was hooked. I've read so many murder mysteries which kept me guessing til the end, and so I was expecting that, but I don't think it lived up to that description. I felt let down in that respect. Still a great book, but if they hadn't made that association, I probably would have stopped looking for that "mystery" aspect and enjoyed it a lot more for what it was.
#13 - April 29, 2011, 06:31 AM

Members: