SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Love triangles and their resolutions

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm plotting a love triangle, and have been thinking through the other ones out there.  Here's my rough take on a few and their resolutions (warning: these descriptions contain spoilers):

Hunger Games: Peeta/Gale - Peeta's insanity makes us take his love less for granted/Gale shows he has different values than Katniss in book III
Twilight: Edward/Jake - It's always been Edward and Bella, and loyal Jake, always less mature than Edward, ends up with their child
HP: Harry/Ron/Hermionie - Harry ends up with his best mate's sister, Ron and Hermione who have fought throughout the series end up together as opposites attract (and H valuing loyalty above cleverness)
Fire: Archer/Prince Brigan - Fire always had the wrong sort of tension with Archer, Archer sacrifices himself to protect Fire, Brigan, who is the only man who can resist Fire, gets the girl.

I'd love to hear any others!

There's also this hot boys list: http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=52685.0

#1 - May 02, 2011, 09:16 AM
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:39 AM by AbigailW »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Here are a few from books I've read recently (WARNING: descriptions contain spoilers):

The Last Summer of the Death Warriors--Pancho and D.Q. are both struggling with personal tragedies, and they both fall in love with the same girl, Marisol. After Marisol chooses Pancho, the boys agree it is okay if they both continue to love her in their own ways. (D.Q. agrees to love her from afar.)

Before I Fall--The main character, Samantha, is going out with Rob, who is popular but a jerk. She shuns Ken, who is kind but a nerd. Over the course of the story, Sam rejects Rob and chooses Ken--although she dies and does not really get either one.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks--Frankie has lingering tensions with her ex-boyfriend, Porter, although she spends most of the book dating another boy, Matthew. This book sort of has a love quadrilateral, because Frankie wants desperately to impress yet another boy, Alpha. There's an element of sexual attraction in this desire, but Frankie is ultimately most concerned with intellectual respect rather than love. She earns that respect, but she loses her relationship with Matthew (and any chance of a future relationship with Alpha) in the process.

#2 - May 02, 2011, 10:57 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I am NOT a fan of love triangles.  That said, if it's done well (which, imo, it rarely is), here are a couple of books I enjoyed despite the love triangle:

MATCHED -- I won't give too many descriptions to avoid spoilers, but it works in this case because of the world-building.

NIGHTSHADE -- Again, the world-building of this story makes the triangle work.

I know love triangles are very popular, but I'm one of those who's never liked them (even as a teen) -- and one of the reasons for that is that all too often, the character involved looks either shallow, indecisive, or disloyal -- and I'm not a fan of any of these.

#3 - May 02, 2011, 11:26 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

YA & Spec Fic Writer
Poster Plus
Carrie Ryan did a great blog post where she talked about love triangles, which I found quite helpful as a writer: http://carrie-me.blogspot.com/2010/05/but-when-are-you-going-to-write.html

The part I like most: "To me, that's the essence of a love triangle -- each man is a viable choice for the heroine but each speaks to a different part of who she is.  The heroine isn't choosing between two men, she's choosing who SHE wants to be and that will dictate who the right match is."
#4 - May 02, 2011, 11:36 AM
YA paranormal, sci fi, & fantasy:
GIVE UP THE GHOST
Fallen World series
Earth & Sky trilogy
A MORTAL SONG
http://www.megancrewe.com

Member.
Poster Plus
The part I like most: "To me, that's the essence of a love triangle -- each man is a viable choice for the heroine but each speaks to a different part of who she is.  The heroine isn't choosing between two men, she's choosing who SHE wants to be and that will dictate who the right match is."
[/quote]

This also happened with Katniss. Great article, btw!
#5 - May 02, 2011, 11:40 AM

Star Wars: Han Solo/Luke/Leia - I like this kind, where there's really no triangle - Leia was in love with Han all along (and there's the brother thing), but you keep the audience guessing. This just speaks more to who I am. I don't understand being really in love with two people at once. I just think I'd know my own mind more than that and have a hard time relating to a heroine who doesn't.
#6 - May 02, 2011, 11:49 AM
Robin

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Robin (I'm also Robin), I completely agree!

And Megan, very good point -- and when the love triangle is laid out like that, I totally get it :)
#7 - May 02, 2011, 04:05 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Members: