SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Inexpensive ways of getting U.S. children's magazine samples

Discussion started on

Ramona

Hello everybody, I am in Canada and would like to get a hold of magazine samples from U.S. children's magazines.  It is very expensive to order them from publishers with the added shipping to Canada, so I am wondering if any of you know of an inexpensive way for me to get samples of such magazines as Cricket, Spider, Odyssey, Guide, Clubhouse/Jr, and others.  I would love to find someone who is getting rid of some fairly recent issues (2008 or newer) that I could buy.  We don't have too many of them at our libraries (only ones are Ladybug & Highlights for Children)I tried eBay but most of those will not send to Canada.  Any suggestions you have would be great!  Thanks!
#1 - May 11, 2011, 10:23 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Cricket has an online sample of its magazine that you can look through.  That only gives you one Cricket sample, but it is free.  Don't know if that helps or not. :goodluck
#2 - May 11, 2011, 10:52 AM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I can't physically help since I look at these magazines at the library in the US. (I don't think the librarians would be happy with me if I sold you their copies.) But you could get together with a group of Canadian children's writers and each subscribe to one magazine, then share them around. These boards would be a good place to meet people who might want to do such a thing.
#3 - May 11, 2011, 08:47 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Ramona

Thank you Melissa and Eecoburn for some good ideas!
#4 - May 12, 2011, 12:12 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Another place to look might be elementary schools.  Often the librarian will weed out magazine collections at the end of each school year.  If you have children in school, perhaps you can ask there.
Judith
#5 - May 27, 2011, 11:34 PM
What Do You See?  Odyssey Books  2009
Stinky Feet  Odyssey Books  2012
Jump-start Your Library, UpStart 2008
http://judithsnyderwrites.com

I imagine that Canada has access to databases that can be accessed through the library.  You usually need a password, but here it is just my library card number.  There is an immense amount of magazine articles that you can look at.  I can access it from home.  It has saved me some cash.  The datatbases are also available at universities.  The only problem I have found is that the articles are in a text only format so you can't look at the format of the magazine as well. 
#6 - June 02, 2011, 12:34 PM
A neurtron walks into a bar and asks, "how much for a drink?" The bartender says, "no charge."
-Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory)

Members: