SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

SCBWI Portfolio Showcase

Discussion started on

plume

Has anyone ever entered a portfolio in the SCBWI showcase at the L.A. Conference? How many pieces do you think are appropriate to enter?
#1 - May 11, 2011, 11:44 AM

Children's Illustrator / Author
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
It's been awhile since I've been to SCBWI LA conf., but, paricipating in the porfolio showcase was awesome - and very inspiring.   For start, you should be able to find illustrator guidelines regarding portfolios in the SCBWI Resources on their website - there's a couple of publications for illustrators that would help - I think the norm is still 15 color copies of your best work - and you should include b/w as well as color - but, put the b/w's in their own section towards the end of the portfolio.  Also  there should be participant guidelines for the SCBWI showcase on the website or in the catalog/brochure for the conference itself - make sure to follow those guidelines to the t....  hopefully they will also allow you to include promo cards or business cards with your portfolio as well...  - oh, and if you have a pb dummy, I think you can attach it to your porfolio with a string... but, again, check the conf. showcase guidelines to be sure.   Good luck and have a great time at the conf.... it's so worth it :batman
#2 - May 14, 2011, 04:52 AM

Heather Hatch

You probably know already that more isn't better, unless it's more of the best.  And that's so subjective. By all means please yourself but be dang sure it's your very best vision possible. Lucky You!

If anyone going hasn't already read  Debbie Ridpath Ohi's portfolio showcase experience at the 2010 conference, try googling it. She did an excellent photo shoot and write-up of her experience, which had a well deserved Cinderella ending. It's a popular story, retold in short many times since then, though, so try to find the longest, oldest versions of it. I know the SCBWI website has one on the official blog.
#3 - May 29, 2011, 11:05 PM

Members: