SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Hex Hall, Rachel Hawkinsb

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
The sequel, Demonglass, just came out as well.

Can I just say how impressed I am with Hawkins' voice? Seriously. I realize the books are meant to be just for fun, but I feel like I need to reread them several times just to study them for voice. The great voice (which is really funny, too!) lets you skip over all the boring parts and hit the interesting parts without feeling jerky or like you're missing anything. Also, it feels very immediate, which is an elusive quality I think I'm always subconsciously looking for but don't always find. Great tension (romantic and otherwise). If you like urban fantasy but are tired of dark, serious, and more dark and serious, pick up this instead.
#1 - May 23, 2011, 12:01 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Yes, I'd have to agree.  I also like how she takes topics which can be dark and serious and keeps them on the lighter side -- iow, she doesn't make the violence gruesome, even though there is hints of violence.  She manages to keep the tension and make the story seem real and immediate without some of the graphic violence and angst that can be common in this genre.  These are very enjoyable reads!
#2 - May 23, 2011, 04:40 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Members: