SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Looking for Accelerated Reader Friendly Books

Discussion started on

I'm looking for good books that are AR friendly for third through fifth graders. I need to put an order in by Monday, so I thought this might be a good place to ask what is new and hot.
#1 - June 10, 2011, 09:18 AM

Do you mean books that have an AR quiz available?
#2 - June 10, 2011, 09:22 AM

DeirdreK

try arbookfind.com .  You can set search parameters and it will give you a list.
#3 - June 10, 2011, 09:30 AM

I do use AR bookfinder all the time, but wasn't sure how to narrow a search for recent books. Thanks.
#4 - June 10, 2011, 01:29 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
In the shameless self-promotion department...my books THE BRILLIANT FALL OF GIANNA Z., SUGAR AND ICE, and MARTY MCGUIRE are all AR titles for that age group.

In more helpful and general information...the AR site has a "New Releases" page that may be helpful to you:

http://www.renlearn.com/store/quiz_advanced.asp?root=title&q=&ftextoption=allwords&quiztype=ALL&sort=titleaz&adv=1&x=50&subjecttopic=0&il=all&fiction=2&lang=all&publisher=All&released=7&button_go.x=10&button_go.y=15&c=MP+71%3A04%3A3+1102%2F01%2F6

And you could also just check some sites that highlight great new books, like Junior Library Guild, & then check to see if they're also AR.
#5 - June 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
www.katemessner.com

OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW, Chronicle
MARTY MCGUIRE
CAPTURE THE FLAG
HIDE AND SEEK -Scholastic '13
WAKE UP MISSING- Walker, Fall '13

If you do an advanced search you can specify "released in the last ___" and there's a drop-down list.
#6 - June 10, 2011, 03:20 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Yep, likewise, my books are AR books!  Penny Dreadful, Any Which Wall, and Up and Down the Scratchy MOuntains.  3-5 grade reads. "Gentle" books I'm told.

:)

If it bothers you that I suggest them, forgive me!
#7 - June 10, 2011, 11:01 PM

Thank you so much. No, it doesn't bother me, I'm looking for suggestions. I will definitely check them out. And thank you for the tip on how to search on AR Bookfinder. Any others you can think of? I don't mind supporting blue boarders at all. Nancy
#8 - June 11, 2011, 05:10 AM

Members: