SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Am I ready yet?

Discussion started on

Simon_Turnbull

Yeah, the competition can be intimidating, no arguments there.  A thing that helps me keep it in perspective is to understand that some artists are seasoned veterans and you just can't compete with that except by working more. When I compare my work to an artist whose books I read when I was a kid, and who is still on the job, well, their experience is definitely shows.

Strategies:

a) don't compare yourself to the dreck of the industry, always compete to be better than the best.
b) draw a lot, from life preferably, as much as possible.
c) study every different type of drawing and art technique you can, because it all adds up to make the unique artist that you will become.
d) 80% of success lies in showing up
#31 - July 20, 2011, 08:11 PM

bringiton

Top tips Simon and just what I needed to hear. I guess the key is not to give up and believe in yourself, I'm sure most artists must have a very stubborn streak, I know I have he he unfortunately my daughter has as well which is not so great but going to put mine to good use ;)

I joined the local art society last year which has workshops every month or so and I have found that invaluable, I have thoroughly enjoyed learning how to use different mediums properly. If I ever won the lottery I would take myself right back to art college.

Daily drawing is key, its hard getting the motivation to do that but will try harder. Actually I think I will set up a folder on my fb page for doodles a day and post them. Gives you more of an incentive when you know people are looking at them. Thanks for replying :)
#32 - July 20, 2011, 11:38 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
That list is awesome Simon.

Corrina, it looks as if you recognize the dedication needed to make it. That 80% showing up thing is the biggest challenge and that may be why a lot of potential illustrators don't meet their goal. It doesn't look as if that's a concern for you because you are here and looking at your work.

To add a little to Simon's points, here's one thing that I've added to my list when looking at my newest works: Despite that a neighbor, family or facebook friend doesn't notice something with an illustration, if it looks a little bit off to you, it will stand out to an Art Director.

BTW, I think  your birds and your underwater scene are lovely.
#33 - July 21, 2011, 06:47 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

bringiton

Thanks for the compliments Cynthia and I know what you mean,we are our own worst critiques. Mind you at the same time it always surprised me how peoples tastes can be so different. I have put pieces in local exhibitions and often left scratching my head with the ones that are sold. It was kinda hard picking what to leave on the site but just went with the ones I really liked. Have approached a few agents so far and as of yet nada apart from a one thanks but no thanks.

I love Benjamin, hes adorable!

Corrina
#34 - July 25, 2011, 11:59 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
Thanks for the compliments Cynthia and I know what you mean,we are our own worst critiques. Mind you at the same time it always surprised me how peoples tastes can be so different. I have put pieces in local exhibitions and often left scratching my head with the ones that are sold. It was kinda hard picking what to leave on the site but just went with the ones I really liked. Have approached a few agents so far and as of yet nada apart from a one thanks but no thanks.

I love Benjamin, hes adorable!

Corrina

Thank you. I started to draw a dog, and a bear emerged so I kind of went with it. : :dog3  :taz:-Couldn't find a bear emoticon.

And I get you about being bumfuzzled as to what's best with your works. A lot of illustrators struggle with this when putting their portfolio together for showcases/displays. It's usually your best 8 to 12 pieces, but determining what will strike people as your best is puzzling. And it's so subjective. People are moved by different things.
#35 - July 26, 2011, 07:35 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Members: