SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Favority Fairy-Tales/Princess stories for MG?

Discussion started on

Does anyone have recommendations for your favorite books about princesses/faraway kingdoms/kings and queens, for MG or older? Of course I was thinking of ELLA ENCHANTED, PRINCESS ACADEMY -- are there some others you have loved?
#1 - June 16, 2011, 01:39 PM

Member.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I love Patricia C. Wrede's ENCHANTED FOREST CHRONICLES (DEALING WITH DRAGONS is book one).
#2 - June 16, 2011, 01:57 PM

Poster Plus
Ditto Patricia Wrede and Gail Carson Levine!

Some of my favorites:

The Book of Three (and the rest of the Chronicles of Prydain) by Lloyd Alexander (and several of his other stand-alone books too)

The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle

Court Duel/Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith

Almost anything by Robin McKinley!

Almost anything by Elizabeth E Wein!

Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott

The Ordinary Princess by M M Kaye

Mistwood by Leah Cypess

The Thief and the rest of the Attolia series by Megan Whalen Turner

Ash by Malinda Lo

Elizabeth C Bunce's StarCrossed is one of my recent favorite fantasies (the MC is a thief, not a princess, but there are  nobles and intrigues and a cool castle!)

Also perhaps various books by Jessica Day George and Shannon Hale might work?
#3 - June 16, 2011, 02:10 PM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

Palace of Mirrors by Margaret Peterson Haddix
#4 - June 16, 2011, 03:34 PM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

The Twice Upon a Time series--
Wendy Mass's Rapunzel-The One with the Hair and Sleeping Beauty-The One Who Took a Really Long Nap.
#5 - June 16, 2011, 04:27 PM

Thank you for all the great suggestions! Wow!
#6 - June 16, 2011, 04:30 PM

For younger YA... My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison is very funny (she's "fair" because she's still in training and not very good) and there's another one just out that I haven't read yet... My Unfair Godmother.
#7 - June 16, 2011, 04:44 PM

DeirdreK

She doesn't start the trilogy a princess,   But the "Dragon Slippers" Trilogy by Jessica Day George is GREAT.

(Also, her YA princess books are good and clean, just a little scarier--- so if you're looking for a 10-12 year old, still good!)

And oh! (Also not quite a princess, but she DOES have a castle!) Cornelia Funke's Igraine the Brave.....
#8 - June 17, 2011, 05:47 AM

ecb

Not to get ridiculous in the reciprocal fangirlness, but my favorite faraway kingdom/fairy tale-inspired book in *ages* was Deva Fagan's FORTUNE'S FOLLY. :love

Elizabeth C Bunce's StarCrossed is one of my recent favorite fantasies (the MC is a thief, not a princess, but there are  nobles and intrigues and a cool castle!)

Thanks, Deva! I do want to mention, though, that StarCrossed is in no way middle-grade, just in case you're looking for titles for a specific young reader! (For this series, my publisher actually upped the recommended reading level from 12-18 to 13-18.)
#9 - June 17, 2011, 04:43 PM

I'm reading Margaret Peterson Haddix's Just Ella today and it's fabulous!
#10 - June 17, 2011, 05:03 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
I do want to mention, though, that StarCrossed is in no way middle-grade, just in case you're looking for titles for a specific young reader! (For this series, my publisher actually upped the recommended reading level from 12-18 to 13-18.)

Ooo, yes, good point -- I saw the "MG or older" in the original comment and kind of lumped a bunch of YA and MG together. A bunch of the books I listed in my comment are on the "older" end of the spectrum. (As a reader I have a lot of trouble finding the line between MG and YA so I don't feel comfortable drawing the dividing line).

(and thanks ecb!)
#11 - June 18, 2011, 03:22 AM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

I'm reading Margaret Peterson Haddix's Just Ella today and it's fabulous!
Yes! I should have mentioned this one along with Palace of Mirrors (which is actually a companion book to Just Ella)-- Ella shows up as a side character, too.  :)
#12 - June 18, 2011, 03:55 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

I really enjoyed The Wide-Awake Princess by E.D. Baker.  And she has a million more princess books, too, which I haven't read.  http://www.edbakerbooks.com/

#13 - June 18, 2011, 12:48 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
The Ordinary Princess!

Kate Coombs Runaway Princess

Best all-time book, IMHO, The Thirteen Clocks

And if I may be so bold, I have a book that might fit the bill, Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains OR The Search for a Suitable Princess
#14 - June 18, 2011, 07:57 PM

Thank you again -- I have lots of reading to do!
#15 - June 20, 2011, 07:22 PM

Members: