SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Sky is Everywhere

Discussion started on

Have people read this? I started out loving it -- loving the voice and the characters and the story. But somewhere along the line the overly luscious language started to get to me, exhaust me almost. I had to keep putting the book down. In general it seems like this book has gotten lots and lots of praise and I can see why. I guess I was craving a little more restraint--fewer signs of the author's fingerprints on every page. Agree or totally disagree?
#1 - June 19, 2011, 05:20 PM

Danyelle

I think it's a personal thing. Parts of the story itself bothered me, but I loved being able to wrap myself up in the language. My favorite authors are the ones that combine awesome story with incredible characters and beautiful language.
#2 - June 19, 2011, 05:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I really loved it!  Just one of those subjective things.  I loved the language and found myself rereading many passages.  I thought it so orginal.  I don't read fast, but I couldn't put this one down and read it in a few days.
#3 - June 19, 2011, 05:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
I totally understand what you mean, but I didn't feel that way with this one. It was one of my faves from last year. I am, however, feeling that way as I'm reading another very popular, very well written book.

I Love how all this is subjective. There's room for so many different voices.
#4 - June 19, 2011, 07:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
This happens to be the latest book I've read, and I loved it. I found the language beautiful and the story moved very quickly for me.
#5 - June 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
http://www.wendylynndeckerauthor.com
https://twitter.com/WendyDecker19
Sweet Tea (Vox Dei Publishing, October 20, 2015)
The Bedazzling Bowl (2006)

I loved it as well. Easily one of my favorite reads. It was one of those rare books that after I finished reading it, I immediately wanted to pick it up and read it again. And for a debut novel? My, oh, my. I think we'll be seeing a lot of Jandy Nelson.
#6 - June 26, 2011, 09:02 AM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

Members: