SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Latte Rebellion and other biracial literature

Discussion started on

mclicious
Poster Plus
I recently read the Latte Rebellion and was surprised by how much I loved it! I knew it would be fun to read, since I'm biracial, but I didn't expect it to speak to me so much even when I'm older than the target age. I found it so timely, especially since I live in Tucson, where students are empowering themselves to demand that the classes they love aren't taken out of the curriculum. It's a slightly different issue, of course, but it comes out of the same place, and I saw a lot of parallels with a biracial teens' rebellion and the ethnic studies one. Also, I just loved that there was finally an honest portrayal of a biracial teen in which being biracial is an essential part of her identity, and even an essential part of the plot, but it doesn't define EVERYTHING. Too many "multicultural" books only seem to get through the publishing circus if the plot totally revolves around race or ethnicity and not fitting in, rather than just being a normal, boy-crazy, coffee-drinking teenager who also happens to be interested in sociology and being called who she is. Loved it!

What did everyone else think? I've been on a quest lately to define biracial literature, and I've been looking everywhere for more to read, though most aren't classified as YA. Rebecca Walker's memoir BLACK, WHITE, AND JEWISH hit me right away because I thought I had written it when I saw the title. Fran Ross' OREO is hilarious. And Heidi Durrow and Danzy Senna are fabulous writers as well, and they owe a lot to their predecessors like Nella Larsen.
#1 - June 21, 2011, 08:52 AM

Mike Jung

Lisa Yee's BOBBY series (which is on the youngish side of MG) is about a family that's biracial, but their ethnicity isn't the point of the story.
#2 - June 21, 2011, 09:01 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Bumping this because I'd love to read some more MG/YA about kids with more than one race. Any new books to recommend?
#3 - February 04, 2015, 09:28 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
IF I TELL by Janet Gurtler (a BlueBoarder), is a YA about a half-white, half-black teen.
#4 - February 04, 2015, 09:34 AM
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:43 AM by Barbara Etlin »
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Sarah Rees Brennan's UNSPOKEN series has a half Japanese, half British girl. It's paranormal and throws in a little mythology from both sides of her heritage.
#5 - February 04, 2015, 09:39 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
For historical fiction and mystery lovers: THE AGENCY series by Y.S. Lee is about a biracial (Chinese and English) girl in Victorian England who is recruited for an all-female secret agency that runs out of Miss Scrimshaw's Academy for Girls. It starts with A Spy in the House -- how much fun is that setup?
#6 - February 04, 2015, 11:50 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Oh, yes. The Agency! Those are awesome. :)
#7 - February 04, 2015, 01:06 PM

mclicious
Poster Plus
#8 - February 04, 2015, 01:16 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Fantastic post, Hannah. Thanks!

#9 - February 04, 2015, 01:27 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Thanks, Hannah! I've read some of the ones mentioned in this thread, but am always looking out for more.
#10 - February 04, 2015, 01:28 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Thank you for the links, Hannah! I'm so glad to see you back. I really appreciated your contributions here!
#11 - February 04, 2015, 01:44 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Hi, Hannah! Great posts (both of them). My kiddos are bi-racial (as is my husband), and for my daughter, especially, it's relevant as most of her close friends are also bi-racial. I loved Sarah Rees Brennan's UNSPOKEN trilogy, and I especially liked Kami, who's half Japanese, half Caucasian (the same mix as my husband) -- and I loved that her challenges were mostly with magical things, along with stuff we all face (I love him, but he doesn't seem to love me back).
#12 - February 04, 2015, 01:52 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

mclicious
Poster Plus
Awww, thanks, Artemesia! It's good to be back! I didn't mean to stop coming by.
#13 - February 04, 2015, 03:59 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
It's funny because I was just thinking the other day about how I missed your posts and here you are!

#14 - February 04, 2015, 04:04 PM

@cynmarko

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
 :nothing except I'm happy to see you back too, Hannah!  :yeah
#15 - February 04, 2015, 04:04 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
:yay Hannah's back! Off to read your post!
#16 - February 04, 2015, 04:06 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

mclicious
Poster Plus
Awww, shucks, you guys! I'm nothing special, really!
#17 - February 04, 2015, 04:28 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Aw, Hannah. You've always been such a great, positive contributor to the BBs, even (or especially) when there was disagreement or negativity, and you have such a wealth of knowledge that you have always shared generously and kindly (this thread is just one of them). Thank you so much for these new links! Hope that you'll be able to spend more time around here.  :stars3
#18 - February 04, 2015, 04:39 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
 :werd

Totally what I was thinking.
#19 - February 04, 2015, 04:42 PM

@cynmarko

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
One of the things in your post, Hannah, that really resonated with me was the frustration with people wanting you to pick one thing or another. From what you described, it sounds a lot like being third-culture, which is something I struggle with in my own life. That question of, where are you from? is really hard for my family. It can't be where we were born (either we didn't live there long enough to adopt the culture, or we DID adopt the culture but don't have citizenship in that country). I've had kids lose their first language and gain another, then end up in ESL to relearn their first language (upon which they lost their second). I've loved many of the places I've lived, but I'm always a little bit of an outsider, a little bit less--but also in some ways, a little bit more (because I'm ALSO German and Chilean and Idahoan, in addition to living in North Dakota, etc.) People talk about third culture kids, but forget that they grow up to be third culture adults who are still trying to figure out how to answer the questions Where are you from? and What are you? And just because I'm third culture with one set of backgrounds doesn't mean I fit into the same mold as the third culture person over there, whose set of "homes" is completely different. So I really liked reading your post about that, about embracing ALL of the parts of who you are, and not feeling like you have to fit exactly into one specific slot. I'm glad there are books about this--I'm definitely going to be seeking them out, for both just plain reading enjoyment, and also to see how different writers handle it.
#20 - February 04, 2015, 05:11 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Thanks for bumping this thread. I'll be using it as a resource! :)
#21 - February 04, 2015, 05:18 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

mclicious
Poster Plus
And just because I'm third culture with one set of backgrounds doesn't mean I fit into the same mold as the third culture person over there, whose set of "homes" is completely different. So I really liked reading your post about that, about embracing ALL of the parts of who you are, and not feeling like you have to fit exactly into one specific slot. I'm glad there are books about this--I'm definitely going to be seeking them out, for both just plain reading enjoyment, and also to see how different writers handle it.

YES! They are so necessary, and it's such a horrible and obnoxious and harmful question.
#22 - February 04, 2015, 09:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Hi Hannah!

Here are a few titles (I haven't read any of them, but they have very good reviews):

Cuba 15 by Nancy Osa
Mexican WhiteBoy
The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow

Hope it helps!

Have a great week!
#23 - August 24, 2015, 07:53 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Goodness, I don't know how I missed this thread. It's good to see you here Hannah and for the good discussion about a topic which is near and dear to my heart. For the first time in their lives, my kids are asking these questions.

Vijaya
#24 - August 24, 2015, 09:27 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
So happy this thread got bumped! This topic is near and dear to my heart!!! xo
#25 - August 24, 2015, 12:40 PM