SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Need adult literary fiction recommendations for trip

Discussion started on

I'm off on a long trip and need to load up my Kindle before we go. I have tons of kids lit ready to go and some adult NF, but need some new adult fiction. To give you an idea of my tastes, my favorite fiction of the last year includes Room by Emma Donoghue, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender, Pictures of You by Caroline Leavitt and Good to a Fault by Marina Endicott.

Any recommendations are appreciated!
#1 - June 22, 2011, 12:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I loved A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, which is linked short stories. Gorgeous writing, but also fast paced. It won the Pulitzer and other prizes.

I also loved The Help by Kathryn Stockett, which is going to be made into a movie. It's set in the South in the early '60s, I believe, and is about black housekeepers and their white employers.

House of Tomorrow by Peter Bagnanno is an adult book but about two teen boys, a punk rocker and a nerdy homeschooled kid who become friends. It's funny and moving and won the L.A. Times Book Award for debut novel.
#2 - June 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

novaren

I'd suggest SILVER SPARROW by Tayari Jones — it came out this May and is so good so far!

#3 - June 22, 2011, 12:57 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Lisa See's sequel to SHANGHAI GIRLS is on hold for me. I really enjoyed the first one!

Also, Geraldine Brooks' latest is getting a lot of buzz. Haven't read it yet.
#4 - June 22, 2011, 01:05 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

ecb

Have you read Alice Hoffman's BLACKBIRD HOUSE? I don't know if it's on Kindle, but it's *fabulous.*
#5 - June 22, 2011, 01:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
It's not really like anything you've mentioned here, but I loved Lev Grossman's THE MAGICIANS - sort of like a grown-up Harry Potter/Narnia.
#6 - June 22, 2011, 02:01 PM
www.katemessner.com

OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW, Chronicle
MARTY MCGUIRE
CAPTURE THE FLAG
HIDE AND SEEK -Scholastic '13
WAKE UP MISSING- Walker, Fall '13

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions.. I've read a couple of these but some of the titles are brand new to me... very appreciated! Off to download.
#7 - June 22, 2011, 06:49 PM

I know it's not literary, but I strongly recommend a Lee Child book for *any* vacation. Or really anytime at all.
#8 - June 22, 2011, 06:56 PM
Robin

Here's what I decided--Dreams of Joy, which I'd been planning to read but hadn't downloaded yet and is a perfect vacation book for me, and House of Tomorrow and Silver Sparrow. I hadn't heard of either but both sound great. Excited to get on plane and start reading!
Thanks for the other ideas too.. I'll keep for another time.
#9 - June 22, 2011, 07:37 PM

Members: