SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Books for 10 year old girl who is a reluctant reader

Discussion started on

aclaire1980

I have twin 10 year old nieces. One loves to read and the other does not like reading at all. I have an easy time finding books for the one who loves to read. However, I have trouble buying books for the reluctant reader. I noticed at a book store recently that she looked at some books that featured dogs, horses, and the TV show, Wizards of Waverly. Her favorite subject is history, so I picked up a few historical fiction books at a used book sale. Do any of you have books that you would recommend for her? I feel like it would just take the right book in a topic that interests her to help her enjoy reading. Thanks!

Amy
#1 - June 27, 2011, 09:18 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
If she loves history, what about the Royal Diaries series?  And for animal stories, Dick King-Smith, maybe.
#2 - June 27, 2011, 09:34 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

My 10-year-old loves to read and loves animals of all kinds.  You might look at the Animal Ark series of books. 
#3 - June 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
What about "Out of the Dust" by Karen Hesse. Historical fiction written in free verse.
#4 - June 27, 2011, 10:07 AM
www.andriawarmflashrosenbaum.com
Twitter: @andriawrose
Trains Don't Sleep, HMH 2017
Big Sister, Little Monster, Scholastic Press, 2017

Maybe something non-fiction like a dog breed encyclopedia. Sometimes kids who say they don't like to read really mean I don't like to read fiction.
#5 - June 27, 2011, 10:10 AM

Mike Jung

Bobby Pyron's A DOG'S WAY HOME is a recent MG novel that I've heard good things about.
#6 - June 27, 2011, 10:34 AM

robineg

Take a look at THE NIGHT FAIRY by Laura Amy Schlitz. It's rare that a piece of writing leaves me absolutely agog, but this book is so simple, tender, charming, and absolutely dazzling. JMO. And lots of girls love fairies. 
#7 - June 27, 2011, 02:58 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
It's funny Laura Amy Schlitz was just mentioned because another of her books is what first came to my mind--A DROWNED MAIDEN'S TALE, historical fiction. Good plot and characters so I got pulled into the story right away. Is there a particular time period in history that your niece is interested in?

Maybe the HANK THE COWDOG series would be worth a try?
#8 - June 27, 2011, 10:29 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
Sadly, my daughter hates to read and she's ten. So, we read together and some of the books she's enjoyed this year are both Penderwicks books, Skellig (especially), all four Secret books, Matisse on the Loose, Midwife's Apprentice and Because of Winn Dixie.
#9 - June 27, 2011, 11:31 PM

The book that came to my mind was Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan. It's a great story, and it has a historical setting.
#10 - June 28, 2011, 09:22 AM
www.annastan.com
Tween novel and picture book author

BeckyLevine

You might try her on books with chapters that are a little more episodic, kind of like short stories? I'm thinking of some older books like Pippy Longstocking and the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books. And maybe Louis Sacher's Sideways School books?
#11 - June 29, 2011, 10:40 AM

mcg0625

How about the American Girl novels by Ann Howard Creel? I know at least one deals with dogs. Also, A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray. They are historical and magical. Finally, It's Raining Cupcakes by our own Lisa Schroeder.
#12 - June 29, 2011, 11:13 AM

blythe

Graphic Universe's mythology series? Something like this? It's a graphic novel for young readers: Korean Cinderella. Graphic novels rock for reluctant readers.

https://www.lernerbooks.com/products/t/8768/9780822571742/pigling

#13 - June 29, 2011, 12:28 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region florida
The Phantom Stallion series by Terri Farley
Almost anything by Bill Wallace - he has tons of animal books.
The Tales of Emily Windsnap - I've often engaged reluctant readers with this series.
Meg Cabot's Ally Finkle's Rules for Girls series is terrific and a draw for reluctant readers.
What about the Bad Kitty series?
The Frog Princess
Betty Birney's Humprey series - it's about a class hamster

LindaB

#14 - June 30, 2011, 11:52 AM

Catherine Called Birdie? It's easy to read because of the short diary entries, historical, and so so funny! My 10 year old gobbled it up. :)
#15 - June 30, 2011, 02:04 PM
Robin

ara

These aren't historical, but my 10-year-old daughter loved BOYS ARE DOGS and GIRLS ACTING CATTY by Leslie Margolis. Both are quick, fun reads.
#16 - June 30, 2011, 04:38 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
how about the Dear America series? they sound like a perfect fit for her.

also, what about the American Girl books? (as in, the books that are written to go with the American Girl dolls.) I think most of the girls in those books are 9-10, and they're easy historical reads. They're also pretty short, so they won't be intimidating.
#17 - July 05, 2011, 11:46 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I got reminded of Astrid Lindgren's Children of Noisy Village books. Maybe they would work.
#18 - July 05, 2011, 07:04 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I was going to suggest graphic novels as well.

Copper by Kazu Kibuishi (features a boy and his dog)
The Professor's Daughter by Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert (historical fantasy)
Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (historical fantasy that's heavily illustrated)

Other graphic novels she might like, but that aren't necessarily dogs, horses, or history:
Robot Dreams by Sara Varon
Baby Mouse (series) by Jennifer and Matthew Holm
Lunch Lady (series) by Jarrett Krosoczka
Daisy Kutter (my favorite graphic novel) by Kazu Kibuishi
Flight Explorer (anthology edited by by Kazu Kibuishi)
#19 - July 05, 2011, 09:35 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Members: