SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Does everyone know Bunny Foo Foo?

Discussion started on

A crit partner who didn't grow up in the US questioned an allusion I made to the song "Bunny Foo Foo" and suggested I include the actual words to the song. So how about it: are there kids out there who don't know Bunny Foo Foo?  :whitebunny
#1 - June 27, 2011, 12:19 PM
WHISTLING WINGS
Sylvan Dell, July 2008

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I'm not a kid, but I have a three-year old, and neither us know about Bunny Foo Foo. I grew up in the UK but my daughter's lived in the US since she was six months old. I have no idea if that's useful to you or not!

Modified to add: I just Googled it and looking at the lyrics, I imagine that a lot of teachers/schools might not use it any more? I know that some traditional rhymes have been dropped for being too 'violent'. (Three Blind Mice was one!)
#2 - June 27, 2011, 12:32 PM
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:36 PM by Franzilla »

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I'm Canadian and I've known Bunny Foo Foo since I was a kid. And I grew up in a tiny town in Northern BC.
#3 - June 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

My kids love it! But they are now 12, 10 and 7. Maybe times have changed? Or is it a regional thing?
#4 - June 27, 2011, 12:43 PM
PROPHECY: Prophecy Series (January 2, 2013)
WARRIOR (winter 2014)
KING (winter 2014)
HarperTeen

http://ellenoh.com

Poster Plus
We know it. My kids are 2, 5, 6, and 9. We are in California.

I do think they have changed the lyrics though. When I learned it, Foo Foo was bopping the field mice on the head. But the last kids' CD we bought had it on there and Foo Foo was kissing them on the head.

#5 - June 27, 2011, 01:07 PM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

I grew up with the "bopping them on the head" version too. I started singing it to my four year old the other day, and had to catch myself before I got to that part. I'm not sure why, though. It didn't mess me up (too badly!) and he should learn that even adorable bunnies can be wretched people. Is there another verse after the good fairy straightens him out?
#6 - June 27, 2011, 01:19 PM
Blog: http://lauralsullivan.blogspot.com/
YA: LOVE BY THE MORNING STAR (soon!)
LADIES IN WAITING
MG: Under the Green Hill
Guardian of the Green Hill

YA & Spec Fic Writer
Poster Plus
Some people may know it with a variation on the title.  I grew up with "Little Rabbit Foo Foo" (rather than Bunny).
#7 - June 27, 2011, 01:21 PM
YA paranormal, sci fi, & fantasy:
GIVE UP THE GHOST
Fallen World series
Earth & Sky trilogy
A MORTAL SONG
http://www.megancrewe.com

In my WIP they definitely get bopped and not kissed. I hope the kissing thing isn't too widespread!
#8 - June 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
WHISTLING WINGS
Sylvan Dell, July 2008

looking at the lyrics, I imagine that a lot of teachers/schools might not use it any more? I know that some traditional rhymes have been dropped for being too 'violent'. (Three Blind Mice was one!)

Even when I was a kid (many, many years ago) Bunny Foo Foo would not have been sung in school. It was a slightly naughty song that you might sing at camp (along with "The Littlest Worm", "Father Abraham", and such). These were part of the kid culture, but not really sanctioned by adults, except in a rolling-of-eyes/kids-will-be-kids sort of way. My 17-y.o. says they sang it at camp... don't know about current kids, sorry!
#9 - June 27, 2011, 02:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
We sang "Little Rabbit Foo Foo" at Girl Guide camp all the time.  I'm not sure if my kids are familiar with it, though.   :bunnyrun
#10 - June 27, 2011, 03:06 PM
Saving Armpit, F&W
I Owe You One, Orca
Cryptic Canada, Owlkids
Hockey Girl, F&W
Glow-in-the-dark Creatures, F&W
Stay Strong F&W
www.nataliehyde.com

Yes we sang it as Little Rabbit Foo Foo, I don't like your attitude... And always with the bopping on the head!

So catchy! I always loved it.
#11 - June 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
PROPHECY: Prophecy Series (January 2, 2013)
WARRIOR (winter 2014)
KING (winter 2014)
HarperTeen

http://ellenoh.com

I must admit I've never heard of it, but I grew up in Australia.  :whitebunny
#12 - June 27, 2011, 04:02 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

cyn2write

We know it here in PA and NJ!
#13 - June 27, 2011, 04:05 PM

In the version with which I'm familiar, the good faerie turns the malicious bunny into a Goon. It ends with:

And the moral of the story is - Hare today, Goon tomorrow.

#14 - June 27, 2011, 04:12 PM

My eleven year old has known Bunny Foo Foo for years, and we are a field mice bopping family (kissing them? um, yuck!)--though it slightly bothered her when she was a preschooler.  I had to explain the "hare today, goon tomorrow" punchline.

I believe the song was introduced to her in some (American) children's program, though I can't recall which.  Probably something retro, as we are heavy on the retro.  Now that I think of it, it may have even been sung by Rowlf the Dog in one of his Muppet Show segments.

I learned the song as a child and sang it happily all my life without the slightest inclination of actually carrying out the violence toward rodents it so alarmingly depicts.  On the other hand, if the good fairy ever did show up, I'd know what to do--run.
#15 - June 27, 2011, 04:27 PM

Just had to add, while I was asking daughter about Bunny Foo Foo (which she says her friends mostly all know, BTW), I remembered what I was thinking of with Rowlf the Dog.  He may have sung Bunny Foo-Foo at one point, but I was thinking of him singing that song "In a Cabin in the Woods."  Do you remember that one?  We used to sing it in kindergarten and it had accompanying hand signals.  Some of the words of our version were . . .

"Help me! Help me! Help me!" he said.
"Or the hunter will shoot me dead!"
Little Rabbit, come inside.
Safely here abide.

In comparison, Bunny Foo Foo seems quite compassionate with his bopping, no?
#16 - June 27, 2011, 04:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I've never heard of Bunny Foo Foo, but I remember that cabin in the woods song from camp - complete with hand motions. :bunnyrun

And I live not too far from Cyn, so I guess some of us in PA have heard of it, and some haven't.
#17 - June 27, 2011, 04:57 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I'm in Australia, and heard the joke about Bunny Foo Foo when I was a kid...quite a while ago. But I haven't heard it for a long time, and I have a 7 year old who is always telling me jokes she picked up at school.
#18 - June 27, 2011, 05:10 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I think it is a camp song or one that is passed along by kids. 

I have never heard it sang in any school, maybe on the playground if no teacher or aide is around. 

No one would sing Never laugh when a hearse goes by in school and yet kids seem to know many versions of this song. 

And we BOP little rabbit Foo Foo, none of that icking kissing stuff.  :taz:
#19 - June 27, 2011, 05:29 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

feecaro

When my daughter was 3 we were living in the UK and at a music class we heard it as: "Little Rabbit Foo Foo/Hopping through the Forest/Picking up some mushrooms/Mashing 'em up for tea."  This is nearly 3 years ago.  I grew up with Little Bunny Foo Foo bopping the field mice on the head.  I teach a lot of little kids (ages 4-7) and I don't think it's a song that most of them know--either the bopping or the mashing version :-)
#20 - June 27, 2011, 07:49 PM

Loved that story.  Read it to my sheltered English first graders.  We acted out the story too.  What I loved is the predictable text that helped second language learners.
#21 - June 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
My daughter came home from kindergarten singing it last Easter.
#22 - June 27, 2011, 10:01 PM

We love Bunny Foo Foo!!!
#23 - June 27, 2011, 11:18 PM
Hold hands and stick together

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I learned Bunny Foo Foo (the version where the mice get bopped) at camp when I was 11 or 12. My son (5) doesn't know the song at all, though I'm sure he would love it.
#24 - June 28, 2011, 04:38 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Haha!   Kissing on the head? We sang 'rabbit' and 'bopped'.  Instead of the "I don't like your attitude" line, we sang "I don't want to see you..."  We then turned around and sang the song again so the good fairy couldn't see us bop the rabbit on the head.  This was at church camp!
#25 - June 28, 2011, 08:21 AM

Official Blueboard Scapegoat
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
To change "bopping them on the head" to "kissing them on the head" turns a mild act of violence into a form of sexual assault.  Who ever thought that was an improvement?

Also, our camp's version of Blue Fairy threatened "to turn you...into...a goo!"  It was a fun internal rhyme as well as an enjoyably gruesome punishment for a repeat offender who, fair enough, refused to change his behavior even after three warnings. Turning the rabbit into a "goon" instead implies that Blue Fairy is some kind of crime boss recruiting the rabbit into her organization as a hired thug.  Or maybe she'll turn him into one of those big hairy monsters from the Popeye cartoons so he can cause even more damage.  Either way undermines Blue Fairy's moral authority.

(I thought about these things a lot when I was a kid.)
#26 - June 28, 2011, 08:24 AM
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:25 AM by tem2 »
Greg R. Fishbone: Home | Facebook

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Just two nights ago, I sang this song with my 8-year-old twin boys.  I taught them the original "goon" version and (of course!) they LOVED it! 

:whitebunny  Becky
#27 - June 28, 2011, 09:11 AM
Just keep swimming!
www.beckyshillington.blogspot.com
Twitter: @BeckyinSC

Official Blueboard Scapegoat
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Has anybody ever seen "The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit" by Beatrix Potter?  There's a good bunny who gets a carrot from his mother and a bad bunny who steals it for himself. Then the bad bunny gets shot by a hunter.  Fierce Bad Rabbit survives but the shot removes his whiskers and tail, which I imagine must have been quite painful.  Lesson learned!

This story is from 1906 and would probably not be published today but remains in print as a classic work.  Apparently, Ms. Potter wrote it at the request of a young child who thought Peter Rabbit was too well behaved.

Edit: It's online!  http://www.archive.org/details/storyoffiercebad00pott
#28 - June 28, 2011, 09:23 AM
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:31 AM by tem2 »
Greg R. Fishbone: Home | Facebook

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
The punch line of the joke I knew was "hare today, goon tomorrow". So the "goon" bit of the story/joke was definitely necessary. I am astounded by the similarities and varieties we are seeing across the miles and years.
#29 - June 28, 2011, 03:25 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

My kids (19 and 22 now)  and I know it from TV. They sang it on that Sherry & Lambchop Show.
#30 - June 28, 2011, 04:39 PM
INTO THE LAND OF SNOWS (YA) 2012, JGP
www.ellisnelson.com

Members: