SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Does everyone know Bunny Foo Foo?

Discussion started on

Penn Bender

I learned it as a kid in Pennsylvania and my kids have heard it in Georgia.
#31 - June 28, 2011, 04:45 PM

i was born in taiwan and came at age six
and am 38 in august. i have a 6 and 7 yo
and have no idea what bunny foo foo is.

:bunnyrun
#32 - June 28, 2011, 04:46 PM
Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow: 4/28/09)
Fury of the Phoenix (Greenwillow: 3/30/11)
Serpentine (Month9Books: 9/1/15)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Wait, are you saying there's a version with no bopping on the head?!?!?!?
#33 - July 13, 2011, 12:04 PM
Ann Redisch Stampler

www.annstampler.blogspot.com
www.annstampler.com
@annstampler

I only ever heard the beginning, never anything about a fairy. And it was my Aunt Kathy that taught it to us, I think. She still sings it randomly.
#34 - July 13, 2011, 12:58 PM

Poster Plus
We have a CD we listen to in the car called Silly Songs, made by Disney. In their version, Little Bunny Foo Foo scoops up the field mice and kisses them on the head. I just asked my kids what Bunny Foo Foo does with the field mice and they said, "He kisses them, Mommy!"

:bunnyrun
#35 - July 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

In my hood, he was called Rabby Foo Foo
#36 - July 13, 2011, 04:40 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

MaryWitzl

God, yes. I heard this non-stop once, in stalled traffic, sung by my niece and nephew.
#37 - July 14, 2011, 08:34 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
In these parts (Oklahoma), it was little Rabbit Foo Foo and he was bopping those field mice on the head. We sang it at Girl Scout camp all the time. It's just wrong that there's a version without the head-bopping!! The story wouldn't make sense--why would the good fairy want to stop little Rabbit Foo Foo from kissing the field mice??? Bopping them is much more serious...  :hahaha
#38 - July 17, 2011, 08:33 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
I agree with the head bopping....Disney has gone politically correct in its mice kissing. I wouldn't want to kiss a mouse plus I'd probably use my broom if I were the aforesaid rabbit!
#39 - July 18, 2011, 05:31 AM

LOL! We bopped...and it was Little Rabbit Foo Foo.

And yes, it was a camp song.

And now I can't get it out of my head...!  :groan
#40 - July 18, 2011, 06:00 PM
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

Poster Plus
In my WIP they definitely get bopped and not kissed. I hope the kissing thing isn't too widespread!

Personally I wouln't include all the lyrics in the mansuscipt. I don't really see what the need for it would be and it could slow the story down.
#41 - July 19, 2011, 12:08 AM

Rock of The Westies
Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
I learned the "bopping" and "Hare today and goon tomorrow" version. I taught it to my kids. There are a lot of fun songs I learned as a kid they didn't get from others, but passed along to their friends.
#42 - July 21, 2011, 07:13 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Member.
Poster Plus
Funny that this topic is on here as our local library just did this on Wed using little rabbit...bopping...goon...hare today, goon tomorrow version.  His godmother who is a Preschool teacher had already taught it to my son when he was one although she used bunny.  So down here in Texas those versions are still going strong in schools and libraries.
#43 - July 21, 2011, 06:13 PM

MelissaT

The story wouldn't make sense--why would the good fairy want to stop little Rabbit Foo Foo from kissing the field mice??? Bopping them is much more serious... 

I had the same thought! Ha!

In the version I learned, we smacked a fist into an open palm on the first syllable of bopping. "Scoopin' up the field mice and bop-[WHACK!]-pin' 'em on the head...." And I think I learned it at CHURCH.
#44 - July 21, 2011, 07:29 PM

It was Little Bunny Foo Foo for me and he bopped those field mice on the head. My older sister taught it to me but then we sang it at Girl Scouts. I taught it to my kids when they were little but don't think they ever sang it anywhere else.

I also taught my kids "Thumbkin" and my husband, who is the same age as me, thought I made it up. He'd never learned it as a kid.
#45 - July 21, 2011, 07:54 PM

Members: