SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Free Kindle recommendations

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Not that I need any more books to read.  I've got about 20 or 30 lined up for the summer--but you can never have enough books!  Does anyone have an (adult) book to recommend that's available for free on the kindle?  If not for free, maybe 99 cents? Thanks.
#1 - June 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region switzerland
These aren't free, but they were 99cents or thereabouts when I bought them:

Radium Halos by Shelley Stout

description:
Radium Halos is historical fiction based on the true events of the Radium Girls: a group of female factory workers who, in the early 1920s, contracted radiation poisoning from painting luminous watch and clock dials with radium paint. Our narrator is Helen Waterman, a 65-year-old mental patient who worked at the factory when she was 16. She tells us her story through flashbacks, slowly revealing her past, the loved ones she’s lost, and the dangerous secrets she’s kept all these years. "While the subject matter is intense, the tone of the novel is surprisingly light. Thanks is due to Helen who adds humor through her naive and bluntly honest outlook."

I also enjoyed Easily Amused and A Scattered Life by Karen McQuestion, but I see the price is a bit higher on those right now (ca. $4).

I like the novella Cinders by Michelle Davidson Argylle and it was also just a bit over $1 for me

disclaimer: I'm not in the US so for whatever reason things that are .99 in the US seem to cost me more, even though I pay in USD, so I'm not sure what the prices will look like for you.

Happy reading
#2 - June 28, 2011, 05:00 AM
I tweet: @FictionForge

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
EL--Thanks so much!  I'll look into those.
#3 - June 28, 2011, 10:38 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm currently reading the classic, Anna Karenina, on my Kindle. As with many classics, it was totally free!
#4 - June 28, 2011, 11:52 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Yes, I've downloaded a number of classics from Amazon.  But I'm sure I'm missing other potential good reads.
#5 - June 29, 2011, 03:46 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Bumping this up because I just got a kindle for my birthday and am after some suggestions too. :  )
#6 - August 06, 2011, 05:38 PM
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:28 PM by JulieM »
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Happy Birthday, JulieM! I don't know if you're also looking for adult books, but Scholastic has just offered Jen Nielsen's ELLIOT AND THE GOBLIN WARS as a free Kindle download (for those who don't have a Kindle, it can be downloaded to any computer, too): http://tinyurl.com/3f3m9yw

Book two in the series has just come out, so the free download of the first book is related to publicizing the second. I'm reading it aloud now to my 9-year-old and 51/2-year-old and they're loving it!
#7 - August 07, 2011, 01:10 AM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

It's not free but Twenty Boy Summer is 2.99 this month... I've heard it's great.
#8 - August 07, 2011, 08:07 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
There's a Free Books for Kindle on Blogger that lists several every day...some not so good, for me anyway, and some good that I've downloaded.
And the free classics are always there- I read the Hidden Garden with new eyes and ears!   :hearts
#9 - August 07, 2011, 09:27 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Wow, this is great. Thanks!(I am seeking adult and kids's books)

PS Thanks Natalie. : )
#10 - August 07, 2011, 03:30 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Members: