SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Common Fantasy Openers

Discussion started on

Hi, fantastic fantasy BlueBoarders.

I don't know if you all caught this but agent Kristin Nelson is in New York schmoozing with editors. She reports on a conversation with an editor from Tor about common fantasy openings they've been seeing a lot:

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2011/06/groan-worthy.html

The blog entry also includes a link to her initial list in 2006. 

Cheers! :ha
#1 - June 28, 2011, 09:45 AM

Oops.  I'm guilty of number 3 on the list, the city chase scene.  In my defense I did change it a couple of drafts ago...but only by perpetrating number 4 (from the initial list), the dreaded prologue.  Maybe I need to take another look!
#2 - June 29, 2011, 10:11 AM

Woods

Nice link to have. Thanks for sharing!
#3 - January 07, 2012, 06:02 AM

skate

Phew! Glad to have missed using any of those. I've seen them quite a few times, though.
#4 - January 07, 2012, 06:53 PM

Beth

Phew! Glad to have missed using any of those....

Same here! The opening is just about the only part of my WIP that I have pretty much set "in stone" (well, as much "in stone" as anything can be in a 1st draft). I'd hate to have to change it at this point - then everything would be up in the air.
#5 - February 09, 2012, 10:06 AM

Tyger Tyger's opening scene includes a plea, a pink cashmere sweater, an ape who thinks she's on a fashion runway and a banana.  :ceilingdance  Whew! I have avoided cliche...but it is not high fantasy, so who knows what I might have done there?

:tongue2 eab
#6 - February 09, 2012, 11:33 AM

Tyger Tyger's opening scene includes a plea, a pink cashmere sweater, an ape who thinks she's on a fashion runway and a banana.  :ceilingdance 

:applause :applause :applause
"Mind if I ape your fashionable opening scene?" Tamilyn pleaded.
#7 - February 10, 2012, 12:30 PM

:applause :applause :applause
"Mind if I ape your fashionable opening scene?" Tamilyn pleaded.

Of course!-- so long as you're not just monkeying around. My MC gets very tense about these distinctions. I would never hear the end of it.

:) eab
#8 - February 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:31 AM by Auntybooks »

mclicious
Poster Plus
Ha! Can we make #5 "any horrendous, extended period of purple prose with vague references to magical creatures or sadness or aftermath of apocalypse?"
#9 - February 11, 2012, 09:05 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I don't know if you all caught this but agent Kristin Nelson is in New York schmoozing with editors. She reports on a conversation with an editor from Tor about common fantasy openings they've been seeing a lot: http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2011/06/groan-worthy.html

The blog entry also includes a link to her initial list in 2006. 

In my fantasy novel that I'm writing, I'm guilty of one of them openings on the 2006 list. Fortunately, my opening isn't set in stone.  :)
#10 - March 03, 2012, 02:09 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region michigan
Thanks for the link, Tamilyn. I love reading what Kristin has to say.
NOW I would like to hear of 10 openings which really work. (Guess it has to do with unique something or other.
#11 - July 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
http://www.sandycarlson.com
The Town That Disappeared
Tales of the Lost Schooner
Star Opening
Wildfire

Members: