SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Nitty Gritty Revision Request Question

Discussion started on

feecaro

Here's a simple, possibly stupid question: a magazine asks for a revision to a story.  Author revises the story and is ready to send it back directly to the editor (as instructed).  Should the author include a SASE in case the revision is ultimately rejected? What's the protocol on what to send in a revision packet to a magazine?

Thanks!

Carolyn
#1 - July 06, 2011, 05:16 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Good question. I don't know of any hard and fast protocol, but if it were me I'd include the SASE. It won't hurt.
#2 - July 06, 2011, 09:44 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
  • SCBWI PAL
I'd also send an SASE.  Hopefully it won't be used.:-)  Good luck!

God Bless,
Susan
#3 - July 06, 2011, 10:01 AM
susanameyers.com
Susan York Meyers, Children's and YA Author

This has only happened to me once with a mag submission, and in that case, the editor didn't use my SASE when she sent me the revision request.  That and the fact that the request was so specific and easy to fix, I decided not to send one along with my revision.  Worked out well in the end, as my acceptance and contract came back to me in my SASE.
#4 - July 06, 2011, 07:37 PM

For what it's worth, I also sent a SASE,  the one time I sent
a revision request via snail mail. (I got an acceptance.)
Good luck! It sounds promising...keep us posted.
#5 - July 06, 2011, 10:06 PM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

feecaro

Thanks, Everyone-- I am sending the revision today with a SASE.  Good to know that they can be used for acceptances too :-)
I'll let you know what happens!

Carolyn
#6 - July 07, 2011, 04:29 AM

Yep, send the SASE... and hope that, someday soon, the editor enters the late 20th century and starts using email like everyone else.
#7 - July 07, 2011, 07:32 AM

Members: