SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How do teens dance nowadays?

Discussion started on

What kind of dancing do teens do at high school dances? Besides slow dancing, is line dancing still popular? Some kind of hip-hop move? Bah, I feel old. We used to do the macarena and electric slide.  :paperbag
#1 - July 06, 2011, 09:32 AM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Karen, I have no clue. Maybe check on YouTube? Maybe they do this  :hairdude Just kidding!  :hearts
#2 - July 06, 2011, 09:48 AM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Step-daughter dances a little too sexy - think music video sexy, bumping and grinding. It flips me out. She's 14. Where did she learn these moves??? ***looks around*** Not me. Maybe Just Dance II on the Wii?
#3 - July 06, 2011, 09:55 AM
-----
Call me Samantha or Sam...

KING OF THE MUTANTS- Debut Middle Grade, Month9Books, 2015

Chronic
Poster Plus
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Yep. An amped up version of Dirty Dancing, or as I like to call it, stripper moves. :groan
#5 - July 06, 2011, 10:32 AM

grind/freak dancing?!!! YIKES!!!
#6 - July 06, 2011, 10:32 AM

Yep. An amped up version of Dirty Dancing, or as I like to call it, stripper moves. :groan

Exactly. All that's missing is the pole.
#7 - July 06, 2011, 10:45 AM
-----
Call me Samantha or Sam...

KING OF THE MUTANTS- Debut Middle Grade, Month9Books, 2015

Some of them are learning - and enjoying - ballroom, what with the resurgence in popularity of the crooners...and in the interest in shows like So You Think You Can Dance. And they seem to LOVE the 80's and 90's stuff...(that's THEIR oldies *gulp*) :partytime
#8 - July 06, 2011, 02:05 PM
WHEN A DRAGON MOVES IN, Flashlight Press, May 2011
GOOD NEWS NELSON, Story Pie Press, Dec 2012

www.writerjodimoore.com

YA & Spec Fic Writer
Poster Plus
At the high school where I was working last year, most of the teens would do the "jumping up and down" sort of dancing, bobbing along to the music, moving their hands and feet up and down or back and forth, but nothing too involved.  There were also some of the guys who were into break dancing and pulled off some pretty amazing flips and spins when they could clear enough room on the floor.  Didn't see a whole lot of grinding, but I remember seeing that when *I* was in high school (late '90s) so I'm sure it's pretty common in general.
#9 - July 06, 2011, 02:35 PM
YA paranormal, sci fi, & fantasy:
GIVE UP THE GHOST
Fallen World series
Earth & Sky trilogy
A MORTAL SONG
http://www.megancrewe.com

Chronic
Poster Plus
And mosh pits haven't disappeared (though I guess would be discouraged at high school dances!)  :hairdude
#10 - July 07, 2011, 07:09 AM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Member.
Poster Plus
I would add that the comment about "freak dancing" is right (although not everyone does it - there's also a lot of dancing in groups with friends, too), but in my experience, teenagers don't really call it that.
Want to make a room of teenagers laugh? Put an uncomfortable-sounding school administrator on the PA system to announce that, at the upcoming homecoming dance, there will be a ban on - ah, erm, ahem - Freak Dancing. (said in most awkward, stilted way possible.)
#11 - July 07, 2011, 07:33 AM

Poster Plus
There was a mosh pit at my senior prom (20 years ago.)

I'm not kidding.
#12 - September 12, 2011, 10:41 PM
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:43 PM by Wonky »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
This is the Bernie/Berney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRBLmogRL4c

I noticed high school kids doing it at a pool party this summer and my middle schooler came home Friday and said it was the dance people were doing.
#13 - September 13, 2011, 03:35 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL

I noticed high school kids doing it at a pool party this summer and my middle schooler came home Friday and said it was the dance people were doing.

That is hysterical!
#14 - September 13, 2011, 03:49 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

I love that! Maybe some of the moves from the Breakfast Club will come back too!
#15 - September 26, 2011, 06:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
At our school the only kind of dancing kids do is grinding. There's a pretty significant minority (my kids included) who basically won't go to the dances because of it. I think at prom there is also some regular slow dancing and line dancing, but at Homecoming, Snowball, it's just grinding.
#16 - September 26, 2011, 07:01 PM
http://rt19writers.blogspot.com/
AMAZING KITCHEN CHEMISTRY (Nomad 2008)
EXPLORE ROCKS AND MINERALS (Nomad 2009)
MAPPING AND NAVIGATION (Nomad 2013)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
About seven years ago at my kids' public high school, Aliso Niguel High in Orange County, CA, the principal canceled the Homecoming dance because the students were grinding on the dance floor and the girls were dressing very provocatively. It made national news. I believe the kids here dance less sexually now, as they fear their dances will get cancelled.
#17 - September 26, 2011, 09:10 PM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Lollygagger
Poster Plus
My 17 yo son works for an all ages party company and trust me, when there are no parents or teachers around, it's heavy duty grinding and that's about all. It makes him incredibly uncomfortable because he's the videographer and he has to actually film the kids "dancing" and make the promo videos. He's told his 15 yo brother that he's not ever allowed to go to the parties.
#18 - September 30, 2011, 07:11 AM

Poster Plus
Um...what exactly is this "grinding?"
#19 - September 30, 2011, 11:58 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Oh, Wonky, I am having trouble answering your question.  Grinding is dirty dancing to the extreme, either pelvis to pelvis or pelvis to rear end.
#20 - October 01, 2011, 04:41 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

wonky, just go to youtube and look it up. Then, you will never let your kids go to a dance!

eab
#21 - October 01, 2011, 07:31 AM

mclicious
Poster Plus
I graduated from high school in 2007, and I fully admit to being the queen of grinding. However, I also did a lot of dancing that looked like grinding but wasn't necessarily the sexy/slutty thing you're thinking of. None of us knew how to dance, and aside from maybe busting out a specialized dance move based on a music video or something (for example, we all knew how to lean back when the Fat Joe song came on, and you can't dance to Soulja Boy without knowing his signature move), sort of swaying and bouncing back and forth with a partner of the opposite sex was just kind of the only thing you could do and still look as if you were dancing. It meant you could "dance" without potentially embarrassing or outing yourself as someone who was terrible at dancing if you tried to go solo and look like you were in "Step Up."

I hope that makes sense.
#22 - October 01, 2011, 11:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles

Oh that was just too funny! I watched it with the sound off (daughter's asleep), which made everyone look as though they were puppets being moved on bits of string by an invisible puppeteer! Hilarious. But then again, when I watch footage of dancing from other eras it looks just as funny. Dancing feels good, occasionally looks good, but my goodness, it mostly looks downright silly.

As for the grinding style – I've seen it going on where there's no touching, there's just a lot of rotational hip movement.
#23 - October 01, 2011, 12:27 PM

Poster Plus
wonky, just go to youtube and look it up. Then, you will never let your kids go to a dance!

eab

I literally LOL'd when I read this. Sorry. The image in my head is just more comical than sexual.

My kids are toddlers...who knows what will be popular when they are older.

I was never much into dancing myself...for me dancing was either rave parties where everyone is just sorta standing around or heavy metal shows with a tornado of a mosh pit. The mosh pits could get scary if they were big enough.
#24 - October 02, 2011, 07:46 PM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
Break Dancing is really big right now. Yep it has been back for a while. Just watch America's Best Dance Crew on MTV. At school dances I don't think too many kids will be spinning on their heads in dresses and tuxes though. Everything Madonna did in the past is now considered mild. I know it is scary.
#25 - November 18, 2011, 02:57 PM

Lil Indigo

We Jerk, Wobble, Wop, Stanky Leg, Cupid Shuffle, Cha Cha Slide, Jump On It, Crank Dat (Soulja Boy), Fish (OK I don't know what it's called but my friend's mom and her brother's friend do that all the time and it embarrasses my friend and her brother), Cotton Eyed Joe, and a lot of times when a popular song comes on everyone will face the speakers and jump up and down, pump their fists in the air, and scream the lyrics. Then again I'm not in HS for another 3 years so maybe I'm wrong, but that's what we do.  :hairdude
#26 - November 21, 2011, 10:25 AM

Lil Indigo

We Jerk, Wobble, Wop, Stanky Leg, Cupid Shuffle, Cha Cha Slide, Jump On It, Crank Dat (Soulja Boy), Fish (OK I don't know what it's called but my friend's mom and her brother's friend do that all the time and it embarrasses my friend and her brother), Cotton Eyed Joe, and a lot of times when a popular song comes on everyone will face the speakers and jump up and down, pump their fists in the air, and scream the lyrics. Then again I'm not in HS for another 3 years so maybe I'm wrong, but that's what we do.  :hairdude

We also Dougie and Whip Our Hair. Lots of boys and surprisingly a handful of girls can breakdance really well.
#27 - November 21, 2011, 10:28 AM

Members: