SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Synonyms for "twerp"

Discussion started on

My MC (12 yrs.) gets called "twerp" a couple times by his older sister, but a crit partner flagged it as dated. Do you agree? Suggestions for something more current? (that won't get dated too fast...)

I'm also wondering about "dork" and "dorky" among 12-yr-olds.

Thanks!
#1 - July 08, 2011, 11:06 AM
WHISTLING WINGS
Sylvan Dell, July 2008

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
The show Fairly Odd Parents uses twerp a lot. The babysitter calls the kid "twerp" constantly, even so much as trying to get him a "twerpectomy" in the hospital. So I think you could use it and not sound dated, but dork would work, too.
#2 - July 08, 2011, 11:21 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Member.
Poster Plus
I think it's fine, but dork, nerd, and geek could all work as alternatives if you want to change it.
How old is the sister?
#3 - July 08, 2011, 12:40 PM

The sister is 16.
#4 - July 10, 2011, 12:06 PM
WHISTLING WINGS
Sylvan Dell, July 2008

Member.
Poster Plus
The sister is 16.

Then I think "twerp" makes a whole lot of sense. I can't quite explain why, but I always thought of "twerp" as something that older siblings said to significantly younger (as in, more than a year or two) siblings. Something about it implies not only geek/nerd/etc, but also that the one being called a twerp is.....smaller? younger? more immature? The other context where I can think of it working would be a larger bully to a smaller, weaker kid, if that helps explain.
#5 - July 10, 2011, 12:18 PM

Members: