SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

First day of school homework for 8th graders?

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Okay, so the last time I was in front of a classroom of 8th graders, as an English teacher, was over a decade ago, and I'm pretty sure that I did NOT assign homework on the first day.  Usually, the first day was a Wednesday, and we spent the first few days of school discussing and writing about the required summer reading before jumping into the new-school-year curriculum the following Monday.  But, what is YOUR experience?  (Or, I should say, your kids' experience, or the kids you know?)  Non-English subjects?

:thankyou
#1 - July 19, 2011, 06:22 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I just checked with my (last year's) 8th grader. No homework, it was more of a 'get to know your teachers and what to expect' kind of day.
#2 - July 19, 2011, 06:27 PM

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
I agree with Chris LH. The first day you get to know your teacher and classmates. Usually you go over the curriculum, as well as some school policies. (Especially if there is new ones made over the summer)
#3 - July 19, 2011, 06:57 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
That's what I remembered, too, but just wanted to make sure it was still the case.  Thanks!
#4 - July 19, 2011, 07:16 PM

jmm41799

The same here in central PA. I did go back to the classroom a few years ago and taught 8th for one year. I taught foreign language, and the kids' homework assignment on day one was to pick a German name. I think I was the only teacher to 'assign' something. The kids are simply too crazy to accomplish much. They haven't seen some of their friends in months, and it takes a few days to get back into the old routine. All I remember is constant chatter all day long! I needed a big dose of Advil at the end of the day.
joelle
#5 - July 20, 2011, 07:34 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I gave homework to my middle schoolers on the first day when I taught language arts. I would write them a letter about myself, and ask them specific questions. They had to write me a letter in return. Usually I would ask them to share things like hobbies, favorite school subjects, favorite books, what concerned them about coming to middle school (6th graders), what they were looking forward to this year, anything special they would like me to know about them, etc.

I was often told that I was the ONLY teacher assigning homework on the first day -- to which I would respond, "Excellent, than you'll have no problem getting it done!" And most of the students did get it done!

Jody
#6 - July 20, 2011, 02:19 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I'm a middle school language arts teacher.  The first day of school the homework I give consists of getting a lot of papers to be signed by parents.  For my homeroom students that's a big packet of school rules, dress code info, permission to use on campus computers, etc.  For my language arts classes students must get parents to sign my classroom rules & consequences and a photo release.  Sometimes I assign a question they need to answer.  Not very exciting.  I am going to steal Jody's idea.   :thankyou
#7 - July 20, 2011, 02:36 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Member.
Poster Plus
I always had to write some kind of short essay like what did you do this summer or tell me about yourself.
#8 - July 20, 2011, 02:48 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I'm a middle school language arts teacher.  The first day of school the homework I give consists of getting a lot of papers to be signed by parents.  For my homeroom students that's a big packet of school rules, dress code info, permission to use on campus computers, etc.  For my language arts classes students must get parents to sign my classroom rules & consequences and a photo release.  Sometimes I assign a question they need to answer.  Not very exciting.  I am going to steal Jody's idea.   :thankyou

Oh yes, I remember sending home all the papers to sign as well.

Steal away! Happy to spread ideas around for my fellow teachers.

Jody
#9 - July 20, 2011, 03:43 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
 :applause :applause :applause  Jody!  Great idea!
#10 - July 20, 2011, 03:49 PM

Members: