SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Sitting-on-the-Beach book recommendations

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Hi Blue Boarders,

I'm going on vacation with my family (MAUI !  :palmtree) in a couple weeks, and I need some great "sitting on the beach or by the pool" types of books to read.

Any suggestions before I head to bookstore?

I'm not a huge fan of fantasy or sci-fi, but love contemporary fiction, historical fiction, thrillers and mysteries.

Thanks!

Jody
#1 - July 23, 2011, 08:39 AM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I really like the Sarah Woolson mysteries by Shirley Tallman.  They are set in the 1880s in San Francisco and Sarah is one of only 3 women lawyers in the city at that time.
#2 - July 23, 2011, 08:48 AM

One of my recent discoveries is the British author Sara Waters. She writes historical fiction, and her books almost feel Dickensian in detail, characters and plot. But by a modern writer! They're usually long, but fast moving and thrilling. I think her best is Fingersmith.
#3 - July 23, 2011, 10:00 AM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

One of my recent discoveries is the British author Sara Waters. She writes historical fiction, and her books almost feel Dickensian in detail, characters and plot. But by a modern writer! They're usually long, but fast moving and thrilling. I think her best is Fingersmith.
I love Fingersmith! (I thought the film adaptation was well done, too-- actually saw that first and was on the edge of my seat.) I still need to read some of her other books, but I can definitely second this recommendation.
#4 - July 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Yay, another Fingersmith fan! I FLEW through that book! I couldn't get through her first novel, Tipping the Velvet, though. Beautiful writing, but too meandering a plot for me. Her most recent, The Little Stranger, is GORGEOUS, but I didn't find it as totally absorbing as Fingersmith. A bit more reflective and literary.

I haven't seen ANY of the film / TV adaptations, but really need to. The BBC just did one of The Night Watch which has gotten pretty good reviews.

Uh, sorry, just wanted to rave about Sara Waters...  :hijacked
#5 - July 24, 2011, 02:04 AM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

I like contemporary with humor. Recently enjoyed Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer's Wild Ride and Tina Fey's Bossypants. Haven't read it yet but Libba Bray's Beauty Queens looks funny.
#6 - July 24, 2011, 05:33 AM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

THE HELP, Kathernine Stockett (my favorite read from last summer)
THE TENDER BAR, by J.R. Moringer (you may have already read it)

A FRIEND OF THE FAMILY, by Linda Grodstein (great voice, literary-ish;) 

COME TO THE EDGE, by Christina Haag (memoir by JFK Jr. girlfriend of five years. The beginning is slow, but the writing is surprisingly beautiful, if you like that sort of thing. Also, it isn't tabloid stuff or salacious at all.)

THE HOUSE ON OYSTER CREEK, by Heidi Jon Schmidt (starts off slow but nice quiet voice and book)
#7 - July 24, 2011, 11:55 AM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Wonderful! I am making a list.

Thanks, and keep 'em coming if you think of other great titles.

CC - I loved THE HELP also, but have not read the others you mentioned.

Jody
#8 - July 24, 2011, 01:38 PM

Aud

Great beach read: LOVE WALKED IN by Marisa de los Santos. (And if you love it, it has a sequel.)
#9 - July 24, 2011, 07:34 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Strings Attached, by Judy Blundell. (Historical, 50s NYC and Providence, RI) YA
Jump, by Elisa Carbone   YA
The Romeo & Juliet Code, by Phoebe Stone (which as THE worst cover-disconnect from the story since...well, never mind)  (historical, WWII Britain)   MG/young YA
The Summer Before Boys, by Nora Raleigh Baskin   MG/young YA

The sum of these four books has made me despair of ever producing anything wonderful, so I need to quick read some really superficial and boring books as a corrective. PM me with ideas!
#10 - July 24, 2011, 07:59 PM
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:55 PM by AnneB »

YAScribe

You absolutely must read Jessi Kirby's debut contemporary, MOONGLASS. The best beach read, ever ^_^
#11 - July 24, 2011, 08:07 PM

pretty pink princess poster
Poster Plus
Well, hopefully you have a kindle or e-reader or iPad--BETWEEN THE LINES is about the best beach read/chick lit I've read in a while. Unfortunately, it's an e-book, but the writer really knows her stuff. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YR54GK/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0470838345&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0C8RSNV0AHSCD62S1GKV

It's a story about a story within a story...love it! :bunnyrun
#12 - July 24, 2011, 08:35 PM
PBU
http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/p/picture-book-university.html

Brianna Bright Ballerina Knight series

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

For a quick, light, but still heartwarming summer YA contmeporary read with a great romance (if you like that sort of thing which I do :) I just read book 1 and 2 of Jenny Han's THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY series. Beautiful writing, funny and emotional. Very Sarah Dessen-like (another author I love reading in summer).

I'm about to delve into THE HELP which the BB's recommended for one of my summer "big book" reads. Can't wait.
#13 - July 25, 2011, 07:42 AM
THE BREAK, Available Now!
Great Plains Teen Fiction
ILLEGALLY BLONDE
twitter.com/nelsaroberto
http://www.out-of-the-wordwork.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Just finished Gary Schmidt's new one - Okay for Now -- loved it! Set in the 1960's, beautiful on every level.

Another historical fiction -- A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelley
#14 - July 25, 2011, 08:56 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm reading Carl Hiassen's latest, Star Island. I love Hiassen, but I think this is my favorite. It just came out in trade paperback, too. He's very funny in a rather perverse way. And in Star Island he brings back some great characters.

anita
#15 - July 25, 2011, 05:30 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
MOONGLASS by Jessi Kirby. Loved the sounds of the ocean against the beach throught this story.

Have a great time!
#16 - July 25, 2011, 05:59 PM
ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
FALCON WILD, 2017, Charlesbridge
SLED DOG SCHOOL, 2017, HMH
SURVIVOR DIARIES, 2017, HMH

www.terrylynnjohnson.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thank you, everyone! I can't wait for a trip to Powells!

I do not have a Kindle, so downloading is not an option for me. I'm still pretty happy sitting with the old-fashioned book, flipping pages. I probably always will be.

Jody
#17 - July 26, 2011, 09:10 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I really liked The Lincoln Lawyer, a legal thriller by Michael Connelly.
#18 - July 27, 2011, 10:21 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hi!

Since you are a children's writer, I'd say read Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes. Beautiful story for middle-grade kids -- and for  adults, too!

Sheila
#19 - August 13, 2011, 11:02 AM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I am home from vacation. Thank you all for your tips! I read THE SWEETNESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIE by Alan Bradford. He was 70 years old when this mystery was published, his first novel. I then read THE LINCOLN LAWYER by Michael Connelly, a swift legal thriller, and now am about half-way finished with FINGERSMITH by Sarah Waters which I am loving!

Thanks for the recommendations. I look forward to reading many of the others that were suggested in this thread.

Jody
#20 - August 15, 2011, 08:22 AM

Members: