SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Editor looking for an illustrator

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
One of my manuscripts is currently under contract with a New York publisher. We've just lost the illustrator so we're looking for someone else.  The manuscript is whimsical and features animals of all kinds (lions, kittens, quail, beaver, monkeys, farm animals, etc.). Realistic portraits are not what we're looking for--the style we're seeking is sweetly humorous (not cartoony).  My editor wants someone experienced (not self-published, sorry!).

1. If you know of an illustrator who might fit the bill, please post a link to sample illustrations. Or..

2. if you are such a person, please let me know.

I won't be making the final selection, but I'd be happy to forward promising samples to my editor.  Thanks!  All help is much appreciated.
#1 - July 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Betsy, I tried sending you a PM but lost my internet connection. Please let me know if you didn't receive it, no worries if you did.
#2 - July 23, 2011, 06:46 PM

I sent you a message through your website, Betsy; please let me know if you didn't receive it.

Thanks,

- Eric
#3 - July 23, 2011, 07:32 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I got it, Eric.  I'll get back to you.  Christine, thanks for the suggestions.  I've replied to both.
#4 - July 23, 2011, 10:57 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
If only . . . But sadly, no pub's for me . . . yet. Blessings finding just the right illustrator.
#5 - July 24, 2011, 12:04 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Betsy- sending you a PM- thanks for the heads up!
#6 - July 24, 2011, 09:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I’m not an illustrator and I’m not applying. But I wanted to commend Betsy/Ellen once again for her generosity and her ‘pay-it-forward’ act here. She’s done this before and continues to every day, with her helping hand on this board.
#7 - July 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Mirka--you're just too sweet for words.  

It's really fun to see all the talent on this board.  You guys are fantastic!
#8 - July 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:24 AM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Passed the info on to an illustrator I know. He contacted you through your website. Thanks so much!
#9 - July 24, 2011, 11:53 AM

I’m not an illustrator and I’m not applying. But I wanted to commend Betsy/Ellen once again for her generosity and her ‘pay-it-forward’ act here. She’s done this before and continues to every day, with her helping hand on this board.

I am putting my hat in the ring (I sent you an e-mail via your website) and  I have to agree with Mirka. Such an awesome opportunity, thanks so much for posting it here, Betsy!  :flowers2
#10 - July 26, 2011, 07:11 AM
"Maya was Grumpy"
Flashlight Press 
May 2013.
www.pippinmathur.com

Heather Hatch

This is fun, just playing art director while looking at the picture books closest to me.

Here's a list of whimsical animal skilled illustrators that aren't too well known whose books caught my eye: Elizabeth Sayles, Nadia Krilanovich, Lorena Siminovich, Margie Moore, Tina Macnaughton, Marijan Ramlijak, Cee Biscoe, Neecy Twinem, Pat Schories (Biscuit series), Kristin Kest, though she's more realistic, and then there are more well known names, like Susan Hartung (mittens), Kenneth Spengler, Ashley Wolff, John Butler, Olivier Dunrea (Gossie)...

What a neat place to be in, to have imput and be a consideration for your book art. Work well done!
#11 - August 01, 2011, 09:17 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Sounds like a fab opportunity - if I was published I'd have emailed you already! Very lovely of you to offer the chance here xx
#12 - September 14, 2011, 01:07 PM
Big Whoop! (Pow! Books) July 2014
Sorry, Dad! (Caterpillar Books) May 2014
Pi-Rat! (Caterpillar Books) Aug 2013

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro

Members: