SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Vegan question about candy

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I have a character who's a vegan and a junk food junkie. Are there any commercial or common brands of candy, chips, or other junk foods, that are vegan?
#1 - July 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
THE SECRET OF FERRELL SAVAGE
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster) February, 2014

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Oreos are vegan.
#2 - July 24, 2011, 11:19 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Anything that has gelatin in it is NOT vegan (nor vegetarian). So...rule out fruit snacks and some kinds of ice cream and yogurt, for starters. I'm sure that takes care of most gummy candy, too.
#3 - July 24, 2011, 03:45 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
No they aren't. They have milk in them. At least all the ones I've looked at have. Most Newman-o's are vegan.

There is a candy .. I'd have to look up the name ... but you have to get it at health food stores.

Maybe skittles and the Wonka candies although some of those have egg .. I'm not sure about gelatin content though --- I'm mostly familiar with dairy free stuff.
#4 - July 24, 2011, 03:45 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Wow, I double checked. Oreos do appear to be dairy free now. They weren't ten or so years ago. I had just never bothered looking at the ingredients ... I had simply ruled them out long ago. Still google .. there is some dispute about how vegan they are.
#5 - July 24, 2011, 03:48 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Here's a helpful list:
http://www.petakids.com/candy.asp
#6 - July 24, 2011, 03:56 PM

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Poster Plus
I heard that Oreos do have pork in the filling... I have to check that link now!
#7 - July 24, 2011, 05:13 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
http://current.com/groups/veganism/91878623_vegan-friends-oreos-are-not-i-repeat-not-vegan.htm

This article deals with how the sugar is produced. It's good to know they are now dairy free. That's a recent development. It's always been something we've avoided. We just buy Neman-O's.
#8 - July 24, 2011, 05:47 PM

If you go to the health food section of your grocery store or to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods they typically will have a "vegan" section with candy there. You can get vegan jello like stuff, now, but of course it's tons more money...
#9 - July 24, 2011, 05:52 PM
Robin

Most plain corn chips (and some brands of potato chips) are okay. Maybe your character could eat a lot of chips with dips/ salsa?

Hard lollies/ candy that you suck on (ie. lollipops) are often fine, but be wary of cochineal if they're a reddish colour. Gummy lollies almost always have gelatin, but strangely I sometimes find cheap brands of jellybeans that are fine.

Instead of ice cream, your character could eat icy poles (sorry, I'm not sure of the American name -- I think they're called popsicles?) We also have a supermarket brand of lemon or mango sorbet here that's accidentally vegan. You can also get soy ice cream, but it's often more expensive.

As a last resort, your character could just eat a lot of plain crackers slathered in peanut butter or maple syrup or something.  :)

Edit to add:

You can get vegan jello like stuff, now, but of course it's tons more money...
To make cheaper vegan "jello," you can buy agar agar from an Asian grocery. It's a seaweed product that you buy in sachets of flakes or powder and make it like jello in the fridge with water/ flavourings.
#10 - July 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:18 PM by yellow_submarine »
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Thanks everyone! This is great information and great links!

I should clarify that my character's reasons for being vegan have nothing to do with the safety of animals. And he doesn't care about his health. I know, sounds very curious, doesn't it? He does have his reasons though.

Also, money isn't a problem, at least not for me. His mom buys his food. :)
#11 - July 24, 2011, 08:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
You're right. I am curious. Why is he vegan?

Is he trying to impress a vegan girl? Or maybe he cares about the environment? Or maybe he's experimenting on himself because of some factoid he read in a magazine...?
#12 - July 25, 2011, 09:38 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

sary

PORK in the filling? For REAL?
#13 - July 25, 2011, 12:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
You're right. I am curious. Why is he vegan?

Is he trying to impress a vegan girl? Or maybe he cares about the environment? Or maybe he's experimenting on himself because of some factoid he read in a magazine...?

No, not trying to impress a girl.
No, he doesn't care (or not care) about the environment.
No, not trying to express himself.

I don't think you'll be able to guess.
 :ha
I'd tell you, but then it would spoil the whole story.

#14 - July 25, 2011, 07:09 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
There is no pork in Oreos NOW, but when I was a kid, they (like many baked goods and snack chips) were made with lard. Because we had Muslim girls in my Girl Scout troop, we had Hydrox for snack instead. When "cholesterol free" was the hot thing, the fats in many foods were replaced with hydrogenated vegetable shortening. There was a gap of some years before I found out that Oreos were vegetarian (I don't know about vegan), and I was thrilled because there's nothing like an Oreo.

#15 - July 25, 2011, 07:23 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

The way they process the ingredients to make Oreos makes them un-vegan / vegetarian. They use enzymes for the dough / cookie. They use bone-char in the process as well. I'm a semi-vegan and I sometimes eat Oreos. I mean, how can you say no to them? They're pure sugar crack.

And as yellow_submarine said, be wary of cochineal. Basically it's smashed up insects to give things a reddish hue. I haven't checked the packages for the Christmas Oreos, but it could be used there. Although they're so red, I'd say it's food coloring.

There are some GREAT candies at Whole Foods. They even have jellies, which typically are made with gelatin. A vegan / vegetarian no-no.
#16 - August 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
@annemariewrites

PORK in the filling? For REAL?

Long ago they had lard, which is rendered pork fat. They switched to vegetable oil a long time ago... at least twenty years ago.
#17 - August 19, 2011, 10:40 AM

Red Bull is not vegetarian -- weird that a soda pop wouldn't be.
#18 - August 19, 2011, 10:41 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI RA
If you look for candy that is kosher and parve you will find candy good for vegans. Airheads, most lollypops (not tootsie pops), and some dark chocolate (not hershey). As for ice cream type foods Tofutti Cuties and Tofutti Pops are both vegan.
#19 - August 19, 2011, 11:06 AM
Stacy Barnett Mozer
NE-SCBWI Critique Group Coordinator
www.stacymozer.com
http://sportygirlbooks.blogspot.com

Grady Hendrix

Most vegans I know get passionate about ice cream since vegan brands of ice cream are pretty great. I would even go so far to say that you could serve most people a good brand of vegan ice cream and they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Also, if you're using vegan butter....Earth Balance! It's the best butter substitute out there. And for mayo...Vegenaise! I'm from the South where mayo is a major food group and I'll take Vegenaise any day over regular mayo. It just tastes better!
#20 - August 23, 2011, 03:30 PM

The few vegans I know are also against consuming chemicals, so they eat organic as well. That doesn't rule out crunchy munchies and soy/coconut ice creams, but they have to be picky. One vegan mom I know is amazing at making home made munchies and baked goods. She also specializes in non-glutton, so no wheat.
#21 - August 23, 2011, 03:38 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Just have to chime in here with another shout-out for Veganaise. That stuff is the bomb! I'm vegetarian, not vegan, but there are tons of options these days, even for folks like me who minimize preservatives/chemicals as well. Also, when you stop eating packaged foods, your taste buds change -- regular fruit starts to taste sweet as candy. Mmmm.
#22 - August 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
Above World, 2/2012, Candlewick
Mirage (Book 2), 3/2013
Horizon (Book 3), 4/2014

Members: