SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Baby shower book gifts?

Discussion started on

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Anybody have some go-to books to give to new moms?  I'm writing an article and am interested in your favorites.
#1 - July 27, 2011, 08:10 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Some of the more obvious classics are Goodnight Moon, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Harold and the Purple Crayon, any type of nursery rhyme books, Where the Wild Things Are, The Giving Tree, any Dr. Seuss book, Pat the Bunny, and Love You Forever.

I often like to give books that are signed (which is easier for me than others because of attending writing conferences, although book stores will sometime have signed books in stock, especially indie book stores). I also like to give books that had meaning to me as a child. My husband used to love finding the Goldbug in the Richard Scarry books, so we gave one of those books to our new niece.
#2 - July 27, 2011, 08:24 AM
Katie L. Carroll

Pirate Island - MG adventure
Elixir Bound - YA Fantasy
www.katielcarroll.com

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
(Don't forget the new dads! I always think of book gifts being something that both moms and dads can appreciate and use.)

Here are some of my favorite shower book gifts:

The Quiet Book
Everywhere Babies
10 Little Fingers and 10 Little Toes
Knuffle Bunny
Goodnight Construction Site
All the World
Boss Baby

If the expecting parents have a nursery theme or I know some of their hobbies/interests, then I might gift them with picture books that mesh well with those to give a more personalized spin. (Dinosaur vs. Bedtime for a dinosaur themed nursery, for example, or Brontorina for a friend who is a dancer.)
#3 - July 27, 2011, 09:00 AM
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:09 AM by J-Bert »
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
For the parents: any or all of Carol Baicker-McKee's books by Peachtree Press--
     --FussBusters on the Go: Strategies and Games for Stress-Free Outings, Errands, and Vacations with Your Preschooler
     --FussBusters at Home: Strategies and Games for Smoothing the Rough Spots in Your Preschooler's Day
     --The Preschooler Problem Solver

Practical, simple, realistic, and humorous. Organized in short sections, so it's the perfect "bathroom" book.   :)   

Disclosure: Carol's in my critique group. But you can check out the five-star reviews on line.

And p.s.  I've said this in other discussions, but whenever the family already includes a toddler, I gift him or her with a copy of CHEEP! CHEEP! (Julie Stiegemeyer/Carol Baicker-McKee). In this funny and reassuring little tale, the new arrival is a welcome surprise instead of a rival or tyrant.
#4 - July 27, 2011, 09:17 AM

Poster Plus
I second The Boss Baby by Marla Frazee. It is definitely a book more for the parents, but depicts in a really fun way how life will change when the baby arrives!
#5 - July 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I like to give books for baby AND a book for Mom: Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott, a funny and poignant memoir about the wonderful but frustrating first year of her baby's life.
#6 - July 27, 2011, 10:11 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
If Animals Kissed Goodnight by Ann Whitford Paul is a sweet bedtime book about animal mommies and daddies and their babies.
#7 - July 27, 2011, 02:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I think READING MAGIC by Mem Fox would make a great gift.
#8 - July 27, 2011, 03:00 PM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?/Polar Bear, Polar Bear/etc.
All Sandra Boynton (Red Hat, Green Hat; The Going to Bed Book -- the ones in the boxed collection)
Yummy/Yucky, Blankie, Binky by Leslie Patricelli

There was this awesome board book called (I think) Bear's Busy Day, but I can't remember the author.  It was a Candlewick book.

Debby, love the book for Mom/Dad too!
#9 - July 27, 2011, 03:06 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I always give Sandra Boynton board books as shower gifts. I love the bouncy meter.

My favs are: "Barnyard Dance," "But Not the Hippopotomus," "Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaur," and the "Goodnight Book."

#10 - July 27, 2011, 06:22 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region florida
As a bookseller I often helped customers find books for showers. Most of the time they wanted board books. Karen Katz books were popular as was Lisa McCourt's I Love You Stinky Face. Most of the time I tried to show them wonderful books that were not quite as well known as Goodnight Moon or Where the Wild Things Are because the parents would probably get multiple copies.  Also, Peggy Rathmann's Goodnight Gorilla is a favorite for showers and so is Dr. Suess.

LindaB
#11 - July 27, 2011, 06:33 PM

Member.
Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
My favorite new mom books are The Wonder Weeks by Dr. Frans Plooij and The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Karp.  We give them to all our expecting friends. 
#12 - July 27, 2011, 06:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I usually give a couple of things, depending on what the store has:

LITTLE FUR FAMILY DELUXE EDITION by margaret wise brown (less well known than goodnight moon, highly unlikely they'll get multiple copies of this one!)

MRS MUSTARD'S BABY FACES from chronicle - simply baby faces. babies love looking at pix of babies! and it is an accordian shape, and good for chewing on.

EVERYWHERE BABIES by susan meyers & marla frazee, board book edition

and a new fave is the boxed set of the "little pea / little hoot / little oink" in board format. The box itself is a picture frame - so cute!

--

For christenings, I usually give something that can be in their library forever - my preference is a hardback of D'aulaire's Greek Myths.
#13 - July 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

ara

Hopefully no one will hate me for suggesting this one, since it's kind of controversial, but to my really good friends who are becoming parents for the first time, I give ON BECOMING BABY WISE: GIVING YOUR INFANT THE GIFT OF NIGHTTIME SLEEP by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam. For baby, I buy lots of sturdy board books and bath books, since they're awesome to have but not as popular as shower gifts.
#14 - July 29, 2011, 10:26 AM

Members: