SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

When does school start--in your neck of the woods?

Discussion started on

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Suburban Philadelphia, we start after Labor Day -- Tuesday for most students, Thursday for kindergarten.
#31 - August 06, 2011, 05:30 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Wow, guys, you are going to have to explain this to me.  I thought you were talking Summer holidays, which over here start at 30th June and finsih on 1st September.
Far too long, if you ask me.
#32 - August 06, 2011, 06:07 AM

Coast of NC here . . .

Comm. college starts the 15th of August, but our local public schools start the 25th. 
#33 - August 06, 2011, 06:21 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Suburb north of Kansas City, Missouri starts Aug 17.

Kansas City, MO School District starts Aug 15.
#34 - August 06, 2011, 06:38 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

August 15th in FL.
#35 - August 06, 2011, 07:17 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
In Seattle, we start the Tues. or Wed. after Labor Day.
#36 - August 06, 2011, 09:03 AM
NERVE  ~Truth or Dare, without the Truth~ Dial, Fall 2012
CHARISMA ~Gene Therapy Gone Bad~ Dial, Winter 2015
www.jeanneryan.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Thundering, the American schedule is quite different from the European one. We tend to have long summers (2.5-3 months) and then all the rest of the school year crammed in with few breaks. Usually once school starts, the kids get a couple days off for Thanksgiving (end of November), two weeks off for Christmas, and a week for spring break. There are also a couple of one-day holidays in there, like President's Day and Martin Luther King Day, but otherwise, it's school all day, every day, until May or June. In contrast the European style schedule is what we'd call a year-round schedule. Personally, I think it all depends on where you live as far as which one is preferable. When we lived in Germany, there were always places to go on those odd two-week breaks in the winter. Now I live in Idaho, and when it's 0 Fahrenheit and there are several feet of snow on the ground (and the roads aren't well cleared), there is simply no sense sitting at home, bored for two weeks in February. I'd rather have the whole summer and be able to travel and do swimming lessons and have kids play sports and all of that without school complicating things.

Generally, when we read Harry Potter and learn about his summer breaks, six weeks seems so short! :)
#37 - August 06, 2011, 09:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Some school years in SoCal ended before Memorial Day.  Felt weird to me.   :old  (Corona students went until June, but just the first week of it.)
#38 - August 06, 2011, 12:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Bay area- the Catholic schools start in mid-August, the public schools either late August or after Labor Day, and independent privates- right after Labor Day.

Where I grew up (Israel) it was always September first, unless it fell on the Sabbath (Saturday) and then it would be September second.
#39 - August 06, 2011, 02:19 PM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks, everybody.  This has been enormously helpful.
#40 - August 06, 2011, 05:27 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I'm in Fairfax County (Virginia) outside of Washington, D.C., and we start the day after Labor Day. Loudoun County, one of the adjacent counties to us, starts August 29.
#41 - August 07, 2011, 01:15 AM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

MaryWitzl

Here in Scotland, primary through secondary school starts in the third week of August this year. Summer holidays don't start until mid July usually. When I was growing up in Southern California decades ago, our summer holidays started in June and finished in early September. I sometimes feel sorry for my kids
#42 - August 07, 2011, 03:54 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
In Orlando, Fl we start on August 22.  :reaction I really don't want school to start. We are having too much waking up late and being lazy. I still haven't finish my long list of to do in summer! :protest:
#43 - August 07, 2011, 04:25 AM
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:29 AM by Ann Gatti »

Thanks for explaining, Olmue.
Over here, I think holidays are far too expansive.
For over 13's: holidays start around 4th June and they don't return until the first Monday in September.  Junior schools finish at the end of June.  There are four long-weekend holidays to include Easter and bank holidays and they receive around two-and-a-half weeks for Christmas, plus two mid-term breaks.
I must say, I think I prefer your set-up because the first thing you hear when the children are beginning their holidays is that parents won't know what to do with them for the next two-and-a-half months!  Also "back-to-school" ads start even before the children have left. Quite annoying.
#44 - August 07, 2011, 04:42 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I live North of Orlando, and the kids start August 15.
#45 - August 07, 2011, 10:37 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Aug 15 in St. Louis, MO, too.
#46 - August 07, 2011, 12:25 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I must say I'm envious of all those who get to wait until Sept to go back to school.  Here in Texas as I noted above we start in Aug and it is simply too hot to think in Texas in August.  I mean seriously.  Almost every year some poor kid collapses in the heat doing their back to school sports training.
#47 - August 07, 2011, 01:06 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
That brings me to another question. All of you who live in places where the first day of school is in August--what do you do about the heat?  Are the classrooms air conditioned?

#48 - August 07, 2011, 02:07 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
September 6th in Buffalo, New York
#50 - August 07, 2011, 03:01 PM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

In Nebraska the bigger cities tend to have air conditioning. Places that don't release the students at 1:00 on days when the heat index tops 100.
#51 - August 07, 2011, 03:31 PM

Interesting! Thanx for the post, Betsy, and everyone who shared their info (special thanks Olmue and Thunderingelephants - I was going to ask about the UK summer break when I spotted this thread)
#52 - August 07, 2011, 03:56 PM
http://pippa_bayliss.livejournal.com/
Facebook: Pippa Bayliss
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

Brenda Z

I live in Virginia and the schools in my county don't start back up until after Labor Day...
#53 - August 07, 2011, 03:57 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Aug. 16th here in B'ton Indiana.
#54 - August 07, 2011, 04:03 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Schools in my area are air conditioned.
#55 - August 07, 2011, 04:47 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
Tiny district in eastern PA. August 29 this year, but always the Monday before Labor Day. We get four days of school, then a four-day weekend over Labor Day.
#56 - August 07, 2011, 07:36 PM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
It's the Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day here in Eugene, Oregon. (Daughter's grown now, so...)
#57 - August 07, 2011, 07:51 PM

YA & Spec Fic Writer
Poster Plus
Wow, I didn't realize school started in August in so many places!  Here in Ontario (Canada) elementary and high school always start the Tuesday after Labor Day.
#58 - August 07, 2011, 09:07 PM
YA paranormal, sci fi, & fantasy:
GIVE UP THE GHOST
Fallen World series
Earth & Sky trilogy
A MORTAL SONG
http://www.megancrewe.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
We used to, but the start date keeps getting moved up...And our schools (in SoCal) are air-conditioned.  (Though I remember when there were just fans...)  If it's too hot and/or smoggy outside, the principal will have students stay indoors and not go out to the playground.
#59 - August 07, 2011, 10:41 PM

Everything is air-conditioned here.  I don't think people believe they can function without it.  If the AC breaks, a school would probably close.  (Husband says if it breaks halfway through the day, they'd probably tell the kids to tough it out.)  Same with heat (even though our winters are extremely mild).  Teachers have a hard time regulating classroom temps because they are often instructed NOT to touch the thermostat--or there isn't one.  The school maintenance dept. is left to slowly respond to calls for relief from the Goldilocks Syndrome--this classroom is too cold, this one is too hot, this one is just right.  It all depends on what side or floor of the building your classroom is located, how many windows you have facing what direction, or how the vent system runs.

Even though it's still very hot when school starts here (and that would be true even if school started in Sept. because it doesn't get cool here until maybe mid-Oct.?) I always wore my new school clothes on the first day.  I have memories of melting inside new, stiff jeans.  Anyone else?  I think as I grew older, I gave in and wore shorts instead.

#60 - August 08, 2011, 09:43 AM

Members: