SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

When does school start--in your neck of the woods?

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Specifically I mean--in what month?  I'm talking about elementary school. Thanks!  This is information I need for a picture book query.

And could you include the name of your town or city?  (Extra credit for big school districts.)
#1 - August 05, 2011, 04:21 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
First day of school in most of the suburbs west of Boston (Middlesex County) is the Wednesday before Labor Day--the kids are in school for two days, get a 4 day weekend for the holiday, then start back in on Tuesday.
#2 - August 05, 2011, 04:39 PM
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:32 PM by Marissa Doyle »
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm in a suburb just south of Boston (Hingham, MA), and we start the Tuesday after Labor Day.  Kindergarten, however, starts two days after all the other kids go (Thursday after Labor Day).  DH, who is on our school committee, says this is typical of the south shore and other districts he knows of (down here) as well.
#3 - August 05, 2011, 04:44 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Jefferson County (which might be the largest school district in CO) starts the next to last week in August.  That does move around a bit here and there, but it's always in August.  We're specifically in Golden.
#4 - August 05, 2011, 04:49 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Here in Utah, the traditional school districts start Aug 22nd this year.  Which actually seems really early, since there have been years they start as late as the first week of September. Some charter schools begin a week earlier than that.

But most of the largest school districts in the state are on a year-round system.  They began mid-July. and go through mid-June.  (In other words, they get three to four weeks off in summer before school is back in session for three out of the four tracks. One track is always "off track" (not in school) for about two-three weeks throughout the year.  Or something like that, anyway...
#5 - August 05, 2011, 04:54 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
All schools in Virginia start the Tuesday after Labor Day, UNLESS, and this is a big unless, the school system has gotten a waiver to start earlier because of winter weather.  So our school district, which has the waiver, starts August 23 this year, as do many of our surrounding counties.  The farther east, the more likely they are to start in September.
#6 - August 05, 2011, 04:56 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Aug 9. I live in a county next to Atlanta.

Surrounding counties start anywhere from Aug 2 to Aug 23.
#7 - August 05, 2011, 05:15 PM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Aug 22. I live in a small town in TX, but near Austin...and they start the same week I believe.
#8 - August 05, 2011, 05:20 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region louisianamississippi
MS Gulf Coast here, and most of our districts started yesterday (Aug 4).  :faint
#9 - August 05, 2011, 05:24 PM
THE KATERINA TRILOGY (Delacorte)
The Gathering Storm
The Unfailing Light
The Morning Star

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Here's a list of the places I am familiar with .. all August. I've never lived in a place in the last decade where school started in September.

Oklahoma City, OK  August 1
Augusta, Georgia August 8
Mid-Del City Schools, Oklahoma August 11
Macon, Georgia August 15
Moore, Oklahoma August 18
Corpus Christi, TX August 22
#10 - August 05, 2011, 05:28 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
THANK YOU!!!  Please keep them coming.  This is just what I need.
#11 - August 05, 2011, 05:31 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I live in Fort Mill, SC, and my boys go back on Aug. 17th.  Our neighboring district, Rock Hill, starts on Aug. 15th, and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (just over the border in NC) starts on August 25th.

This summer has gone by WAY too fast!!

:sun  Becky
#12 - August 05, 2011, 05:44 PM
Just keep swimming!
www.beckyshillington.blogspot.com
Twitter: @BeckyinSC

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Since I was in elementary school up through the present, school in Monroe County (Rochester, NY area) has always started the Tues or Weds after Labor Day. Always in Sept.
#13 - August 05, 2011, 05:46 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Houston County Schools - Georgia (Includes Warner Robins/Perry)  August 1
Papillion La Vista Schools, Nebraska (Just outside of Omaha) August 16  Omaha schools start around the same time .. there are varied dates for elementary schools because of certain programs or something.
Tampa, Florida August 23

There .. I think I've covered about every place I've ever lived or where I have a friend currently teaching.
#14 - August 05, 2011, 06:07 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I live in Central Bucks School District in the Philadelphia suburbs. We have more than 20,000 students in the district. This year school starts on Aug 29 for the students moving to new schools/situations (K, 1, 7,10) and the others start on Aug 30. Their rule is that if Labor Day is before Sept 4, they start after Labor Day. If it is after Sept 4, they start before Labor Day.
Our son is in private school and doesn't start until Sept. 8.

anita
#15 - August 05, 2011, 06:29 PM

Wednesday, Sept. 7, two days after Labor Day. We're in a community named Ladera Ranch, which is in southern Orange County, California and in a  school district with 50,000 kids. Other nearby town names that are more recognizable are Mission Viejo, San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente.
#16 - August 05, 2011, 06:40 PM

Definitely not a big school district buy Hays CISD (just south of Austin, TX) starts on August 22nd.
#17 - August 05, 2011, 07:09 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Aug 22 for Houston, Texas and the surrounding area fort bend ISD
#18 - August 05, 2011, 07:54 PM

Central Nebraska and most of Omaha - between August 10 and 16. We've been getting earlier and earlier.
#19 - August 05, 2011, 08:26 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I live in Northern New York and we start on September 8th this year. (Plattsburgh, NY).  But I also live very close to Burlington, VT. That district, which is the largest in Vermont, starts on September 1st.
I grew up outside of Boston, in Framingham, MA.  My family is still there and my cousins say their kids start the day after Labor Day.  Hope that helps

-Stephanie
#20 - August 05, 2011, 08:58 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
My girls go to school in Boca Raton, FL and we start on August 22 (with meet the teacher on the 19th). 

Wow, I'm surprised by the answers here!  I thought we started way before most other states.  I can't believe one of the schools Lill listed already started! 
#21 - August 05, 2011, 09:10 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
In Wisconsin, Act 16 requires all districts to start school no earlier than September 1. A district may apply to start sooner if they have extenuating circumstances -- whatever exactly that means. My understanding is that this is to protect the tourism industry.

My granddaughter in Indianapolis started on August 2 -- though I'm uncertain as to whether the IPS started on this same date. She's technically in an outlying township.  
#22 - August 05, 2011, 09:12 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
We're in Clovis Unified School District in Central California and we always start in August. This year it is the 22nd.
#23 - August 05, 2011, 09:18 PM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
Here are some southern California beach cities for you:

Palos Verdes and Redondo Beach: August 30
Torrance: September 8
Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach: August 31

And the big one, Los Angeles Unified, has three different start dates: August 5, August 15, and September 7.
#24 - August 05, 2011, 11:17 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
August 24 for SE Idaho as well as Provo, UT.
August 8 for Lancaster, CA
#25 - August 05, 2011, 11:25 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
School starts on Aug 8th in Tucson, AZ.

So much earlier than when I was a kid!
#26 - August 05, 2011, 11:29 PM
BACKHOE JOE, HarperCollins, 2014
FAMOUSLY PHOEBE, Sterling, 2017
ALL IN A DROP, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2019

http://www.lorialexanderbooks.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
It varies a lot here in SoCal.  In my town, Corona, school starts on August 10th (why on a Wednesday, I don't know).  A friend's daughter in nearby Riverside starts on the 29th.  I was in Big Bear yesterday, and the schools were already back in session.

(The year-round tracks were off in June and went back in July.)   
#27 - August 05, 2011, 11:48 PM

NC Girl

I am in NY suburbs. (New City, NY). We start Tuesday after Labor Day. Some years it's Wed or Thurs after Labor Day. Always Sept.

Our district has 10 elementary schools--does that count as big?!
#28 - August 06, 2011, 04:25 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Northside Independent School District in San Antonio, Texas starts August 22. They have 70 elementary schools. There are over 20 independent school districts in San Antonio. I checked one  other .. and it was at about the same day.
#29 - August 06, 2011, 05:18 AM

jmm41799

We start the Wednesday before Labor Day here in Harrisburg, PA
joelle
#30 - August 06, 2011, 05:24 AM

Members: