SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

For Fans of MONSTRUMOLOGIST - Campaign to save Rick Yancey's A+ Series!

Discussion started on

kateknows

Hello all!

I have mentioned my love of Rick Yancey's phenomenal YA horror series (THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST, THE CURSE OF THE WENDIGO, and the upcoming THE ISLE OF BLOOD) in other posts.  Sadly, this imaginative series - of utmost writing quality, I might add - has been cut off by Simon & Schuster.  As Rick wrote in a press release on his Facebook page - "Though the good folks at Simon & Schuster are quite proud, as I am, of the books’ critical success, sales simply have not been what either of us had hoped for. In short, the series is dead unless by some miracle sales of the books take off."  For those of you that are also fans of the book and were not aware, I wanted to make you aware that a blogger at blogspot is actually running a drive to request that S&S reconsider.... and for your trouble she's actually offering up an advanced copy of the third book in the series, which won't come out until September.  Pretty nice.

http://stephanieoakes.blogspot.com/2011/08/support-monstrumologist-giveaway.html

Long Live Good Reading! ;)
#1 - August 11, 2011, 07:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I LOVE these books!!!  So RY had more than 3 books planned by S&S won't buy anymore? Is book #3 definitely still being released?
#2 - August 11, 2011, 07:40 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

kateknows

Yes - he had more than 3 books planned, but I don't know how many more.  But fortunately, yes, Book #3 is a definite - release date is mid-September.  After that, no more, unless S&S has a change of heart, or another publisher picks up the series. :(
#3 - August 11, 2011, 07:50 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
THANK YOU for sharing this information. I will spread the word to any other fans I come across. These books are outstanding and it will be a big loss to the book world and readers if we have to settled for 3.
#4 - August 11, 2011, 08:39 PM
YA reader/writer, ghostwriter, librarian.
Blueboard member since 2008

m_stiefvater

Oh, this makes me ill. I loved the first one, just bought the second. All three books have starred reviews and awards out the wazoo. The numbers aren't shoddy either. I don't get it.
#5 - August 12, 2011, 01:39 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
 :reaction

I don't get it either!! I love those books, and would have thought boys would love them too...delightfully creepy as they are!
#6 - August 13, 2011, 07:02 AM

Rhonda

:( Wow. That's awful--but I love that people are banding together to keep the series alive!
#7 - August 13, 2011, 09:24 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Awesome series. Was pleased that, once I followed the link, it says S&S has reconsidered and will publish a fourth book. I sent a thank you note, per the website.
#8 - August 20, 2011, 03:03 PM

kateknows

Awesome series. Was pleased that, once I followed the link, it says S&S has reconsidered and will publish a fourth book. I sent a thank you note, per the website.

I know!  What an awesome result!
#9 - August 20, 2011, 07:01 PM

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
It's nice to know that some companies still value the opinion of the consumer enough to reconsider  :cheerleader
#10 - August 21, 2011, 08:33 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
It's so cool that the fans were able to convince S&S to keep pubbing the series! Thanks for letting us know about the campaign!
#11 - August 23, 2011, 09:18 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Grady Hendrix

I haven't heard from them directly, but I do know they are not pleased. An anonymous source informed me today that they are, and I quote, "pissed." They would like the write-in campaign to stop. I'm unclear about what I'm supposed to do about that.

My friend went on to say he didn't think it made sense to "turn S&S against you" right before publication of the third book.  

From this interview...

http://bookshelvesofdoom.blogs.com/bookshelves_of_doom/2011/08/rick-yancey-on-the-monstrumology-situation.html

...with Yancey, about the reaction of his publisher to the situation, is the saddest and most sobering thing about all of this.
#12 - August 23, 2011, 10:42 AM

kateknows

From this interview...

http://bookshelvesofdoom.blogs.com/bookshelves_of_doom/2011/08/rick-yancey-on-the-monstrumology-situation.html

...with Yancey, about the reaction of his publisher to the situation, is the saddest and most sobering thing about all of this.

I agree... it makes me even more curious as to what changed their minds.
#13 - August 23, 2011, 07:02 PM

Members: