SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Trim Size

Discussion started on

plume

I have an illustration I'm working on. The guideline says the trim size for the book should be 8" x 10", so the spread will be 8" x 20"   What does that mean exactly?
#1 - August 13, 2011, 11:33 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I am not an illustrator, but I think that would mean the double page spread - what you see when you have the book open and you see both left and right pages at the same time.
#2 - August 14, 2011, 12:59 AM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
The trim size is the size the book will be "trimmed" at when printed, so those are the whole page measurements (including margins and gutters). Anything you design beyond those measurements will be cut off, and anything in the middle will have a crease through it where the book is bound. If you wanted a white space around your illustration (like text design in a book has margins) you would factor that in as well.
#3 - August 14, 2011, 07:34 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Simon_Turnbull

Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. Check with your bosk designer on how they are going to handle the fold, as this may affect how much art you can get in the final trim size.
#4 - August 17, 2011, 01:08 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Trim size as stated above is the trimmed size of the page. Other things to take into consideration when laying out a spread include margins, gutters, live area and bleed. Before doing anything with your art it would be best if you google graphic design web sites or forums :EmoticonPhone: and get a clear understanding of these terms so you won't be disappointed with the printed version of your image.
#5 - August 17, 2011, 11:23 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
If you missed it tThis is a link on Book dummies that may help you 

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=28101.0
#6 - August 24, 2011, 03:06 AM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
I am a Graphic Designer / Illustrator. Trim means what the page will be cut down too. For you illustrators that do not understand graphic design layouts always ask the person printing your work for a template to follow. Know what  BLEEDS are. BLEEDS? This is usually 1/8" to 1/4" extra space around the trim area that is needed in case the book shifts a bit during the cutting process. Always set your file up correctly to avoid cut off or poorly printed images.
#7 - November 18, 2011, 01:35 PM

Members: