SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is this Children's illustrators directory worth it?

Discussion started on

Chris Jones

I came across this site (http://www.childrensillustrators.com) during my self promotion efforts. I'm just wondering if the $350 annual fee is worth it? Is anyone here a member?

I'm really trying to heavily promote myself, so this is why I am asking.
Thanks

Chris
http://www.jonesid.com
#1 - August 18, 2011, 12:34 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I was a member for 5? years, almost from the beginning (when it was FREE). They raised the rates every year to its current cost. Too rich for my blood.

The only people who bothered to contact me were self-published wanna-be-s who wanted free art. I am no longer on there.
#2 - August 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
I've been on it this year and I have made back the $350 PLUS more. So I'm sure everyone's experience will be different. There are newer sites up that are cheaper and cater to the Kids market, but I have yet to have any luck with them. I'm not on ChildrensIllustrators right now, but I will be back by January. My litmus test is try it, if you make back your money plus what it would cost for you to advertise again the next year then it's worth it. If you do do it, know that it should be only one aspect of your self promotion. You have to still do mailings and e-mails and all that stuff too. Very competitive out there!!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Wilson W, Jr.
www.doublewillustrations.com
#3 - September 25, 2011, 12:07 AM

KoalaWalli

Hey, I really like your work and your website.
#4 - September 29, 2011, 05:49 PM

Chris Jones

Hey, thanks KoalaWalli.

WilsonWilliamsJr - yes, thanks, that's what I was thinking of doing. Probably will wait until next year. And yes, I've been doing tons of other promotions - mailing, emailing, etc. So far it's been prety good for me - I've actually gotten enough work that I got to quit my day job! yay! (my last day is Oct 12th)
#5 - October 05, 2011, 08:02 AM

Members: