SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Knowonder -- more news!

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Knowonder, which ceased publication a while back because of finances, is coming back as an online magazine instead of print.

It's a non-paying market except they'll have two monthly $100 contests--one an editor's choice and one a readers' choice.

Here are their links:
knowonder.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/knowonder-magazine/121132377877
www.twitter.com/knowondermag

Email submissions to:  submissions@knowonder.com
#1 - August 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:39 PM by Ev »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
This is back up and running again. Here's an email I got from them:

Phillip Chipping here, from knowonder!  I saw online that you have some posts on your forum regarding knowonder! and it's closing a couple of years ago.  I wanted to make sure you knew that we have reopened again!  Please check us out at www.knowonder.com to see what's new and different.  We'd love to have you update our status on your forum, and of course, we'd love to have your involvement with knowonder! 
#2 - September 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

I just found out that my story, Rulers and Droolers, was story of the day yesterday. Here's a link in case anyone wants to read it or comment:

http://www.knowonder.com/2011/09/28/rulers-and-droolers/

This is a fun magazine, and with the two contests they sponsor each month, a nice additional market for children's writers.
#3 - September 29, 2011, 03:05 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
YAY! Phillip Chipping has just sent out an email saying that Knowonder is going to begin paying authors $10 for each published story.  This will be retroactive to those published this past month.  To make this possible financially they will not continue to have the Editor's Choice $100 prize.  They will continue the People's Choice Award.

All this sounds like exciting news.  It's always great to have another paying magazine market.  
#4 - October 11, 2011, 06:38 PM
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:48 PM by Ev »

The editors of this ezine are terrific to work with, and yes, it's great to have another paying market.

My Halloween story, The Tickle Ghost, is the story  of the day today. Here's a link:

http://www.knowonder.com/2011/10/17/the-tickle-ghost/

Any comments are appreciated, if you enjoy the story.
#5 - October 17, 2011, 08:40 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
More good news about KNOWONDER!  Here are excerpts from the email I got:

First - we have secured a large amount of funding!  This investment will enable us to give you a much better and easier experience in using/viewing our stories and content via mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Kindle Fire.  We will also be delivering more content than ever before after the apps are launched.  Readers will be able to vote on stories as they read them, monthly prizes will be given away, and much, much more!  Also, it will finally allow me (Phillip) to work full-time on knowonder!, so you'll be seeing and hearing more from us.  :)

Second - we are increasing the amount we pay per story!  We will now be paying $25 for stories between 500-999 words, and $50 for stories over 1,000 words.

...the downside is that we will not be publishing stories for up to 3 months (until June) while we are building up our story database and building out the apps.  (We will, however, be publishing Totally True Tuesdays and Fun Facts Friday pieces).  ...However, if you are interested in submitting your stories, please know that we will be selecting and paying for stories on a monthly basis, so you will know within 30 days whether or not your stories have been accepted, even though they may not be published until June or after.

Last of all, THANK YOU, again, for your support of knowonder....

All the best,

Phillip Chipping, Founder
knowonder! magazine
www.knowonder.com
#6 - March 01, 2012, 09:10 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks for posting this, Ev. I also received this message and was coming here to post the news when I saw you already had. This is really great news. I had four stories published by them in November and December, and had enjoyed reading many of the other stories they had published. It's great to have this market coming back even stronger. 

Guy
#7 - March 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Sheep's Caps and Coats (the 6th book in my Farm Friends level reader series), August 2019, RR Books

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Just as an update - I just received an email about that they are closed to subs for right now. I have the details on my blog - www.crookedbook.blogspot.com - but it looks like they just need a little time to catch up on submissions.
#8 - October 02, 2012, 06:45 AM
MIND YOUR MONSTERS (Sterling, 2015)
HYPNOSIS HARRY (Sky Pony, 2016)
LUCY LOVES SHERMAN (Sky Pony, 2017)

PiaSurligneur

I sent them a sub. in July 2012 and it appeared as their daily story on Sept. 29: 
http://www.knowonder.com/2012/09/29/dont-blink/

They are very nice to work with.  I'll be sending them another story once they re-open to submissions.

~Carol
#9 - October 02, 2012, 09:27 AM

Members: