SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture Books about trading/selling parents as concept

Discussion started on

Pinkpolished

I recently had a critique for one of my picture book manuscripts. One of the comments I recieved was that selling/trading parents is a pretty common idea. Through all of my searches, I cannot find any similar books. 

Can anyone think of picture books with this concept that I can read?

Thanks in advance!

Becky
#1 - August 29, 2011, 01:26 PM

It's not a parent but Dotti Enderle and Vicki Sansum have GRANDPA FOR SALE published by Flashlight Press.
#2 - August 29, 2011, 01:38 PM

Here are a few:

The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish by Neil Gaiman
Would I Trade My Parents? By Laura Numeroff
Trade-In Mother by Marisabina Russo
The Parent Thief by Mitra Modarressi

#3 - August 29, 2011, 01:44 PM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Not a picture book, but in grade school I memorized the Shel Silverstein poem about "Clarence Lee from Tennessee" who saw a commercial for cool new parents and ordered them and sold his old ones at a yard sale.  Ah, childhood!

On TV, there's a popular kids' cartoon called "The Replacements"--I believe the kids were orphans and ordered super cool parents (along with everything else) from a catalog or something.
#4 - August 29, 2011, 05:47 PM

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
This isn't a book, but the Family Channel has a show called The Replacements. Basically, a brother and sister can call this company, Flemco (I think that's how you spell it) at any time to replace the adults in their life. Their Mother is a secret agent and their father is a dare devil, both ordered from Flemco. I can honestly say it’s not a bad show.

I once read that all ideas have been done and it’s the flavour or spin you add to it that makes the concept new and exciting again. It always kind of stuck with me, thought it applied to your situation.

Best of luck!  :moose

EDIT: And I totally just realized someone already mentioned The Replacements. Sorry Jaina
#5 - August 29, 2011, 07:20 PM
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:22 PM by pilonsc »

Enigmainthemist

There wore a few times I wanted to trade in my Mom and Dad.

I like the idea of the book being PB. Keep sending it in! And if it does not work this year put it on the shelf and try again next year.
#6 - August 29, 2011, 09:34 PM

Pinkpolished

Thank you for the suggestions! I really appreciate it!
#7 - August 30, 2011, 06:32 AM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
I saw a book on line called DAD FOR SALE by Andres Pi Andreu (Author) - Enrique Martinez (Illustrator).
#8 - November 16, 2011, 02:22 PM

Members: