SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Calliope outline

Discussion started on

Hi guys,

I'm working on a submission for Calliope, of the Carus magazines, and had a quick question about this bit:

"a detailed one-page outline explaining the information to be presented in the article"

Since it says "detailed," I'm assuming that means single-spaced.  Or am I simply (re)reading it with weary eyes and it actually means double-spaced?  I'm just wondering how much room I have to work with.  Also, would this be better in point form or the alternative?

Thanks! :)
#1 - August 28, 2011, 10:57 PM
- Victoria -

Writing Coaching: vlawinning.ca
Blog: victorialynnfry.blogspot.ca
Twitter: twitter.com/victorialfry

"Detailed" just means giving specific information that you're going to cover, not just a general subject. It doesn't have anything to do with spacing. As for format, I don't think it matters as long as it's clear and readable. I've seen them as outlines and I've seen them written more like letters.

-Marcia
#2 - August 29, 2011, 05:34 AM
Author of over 100 nonfiction books and 500 magazine articles for young readers

I've written for Calliope. I wrote a regular outline and detailed the topics I planned to cover.
I doubt it matters whether it's single-spaced or double-spaced.
Good luck! They're a great magazine!
#3 - August 29, 2011, 08:59 AM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Thank you, Marcia and austen!  That's a great help.  I feel a little less overwhelmed now that I have more concrete information about the outline.  Much appreciated.
#4 - August 29, 2011, 05:48 PM
- Victoria -

Writing Coaching: vlawinning.ca
Blog: victorialynnfry.blogspot.ca
Twitter: twitter.com/victorialfry

Members: