SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Great kids' books set in ancient Egypt or Middle Ages?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Looking for recommendations of chapter books or lower MG set in medieval Europe or ancient Egypt, for an eight-year-old girl. We know about the Time Warp Trio . . . what else?
#1 - August 30, 2011, 08:18 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

I think there may have been a thread on Egyptian fiction earlier - there should be a lot of good suggestions there! I know my daughter (who is 10) loved The Golden Goblet, and Mara Daughter of the Nile. Rick Riordan has a series involving Egypt right now, too. I think The Golden Goblet was a little easier read for her and the other took her a little longer to get through, so it might be more upper MG.

For medieval books - I'd check out Karen Cushman - we love her! Catherine Called Birdy is set around the 1400's, I think and Alchemy and Meggy Swan is more Elizabethan and I want to say Matilda Bone is more 1400's, too.  Her other books are set a little later.
#2 - August 30, 2011, 09:50 AM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
The Magic Tree House series has Mummies in the Morning, and The Knight at Dawn.  They're geared for second through third grade.

-- Butterfly
#3 - August 30, 2011, 10:01 AM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Poster Plus
Thanks!
#4 - August 30, 2011, 02:28 PM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I remember loving a book called "The Egypt Game" when I was younger. I don't think it actually takes place in ancient Egypt, though, but I don't really remember the book, just that I liked it a lot.

Good luck!

Carrie
#5 - August 30, 2011, 05:21 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Just wanted to second the recommendation for Mara, Daughter of the Nile. It is one of my favorite books ever.
#6 - August 30, 2011, 06:17 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
For the Middle Ages, there's a new series of Arthurian legend books by Gerald Morris (SIR GAWAIN THE TRUE; SIR LANCELOT THE BRAVE, etc); as well as older books such as Alan Armstrong's Newbery Honor book, WHITTINGTON; the Newbery Medal-winning GOOD MASTERS, SWEET LADIES by Laura Amy Schlitz (wonderful to listen to); Barbara Dana's very sweet YOUNG JOAN (Joan of Arc); Elizabeth Janet Gray's Newbery winning ADAM OF THE ROAD; etc.
#7 - August 30, 2011, 07:02 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Also Arthorian -- Jane Yolen's Sword of the Rightful King and the Dragon's Boy series
#8 - August 31, 2011, 09:38 AM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Members: