SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Does anyone know of an expert on Ben Franklin?

Discussion started on

LAC

If so, can you email me at Lacra4rd AT aol DOT com?

Thanks so much

Laura
#1 - September 01, 2011, 11:50 AM
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:34 PM by Mindy Alyse »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I would try the Philadelphia Historical Society, or some such group. There's a guy in Philly who plays Franklin at many events, and I've read stories about him. I think he might have studied Franklin, and you might be able to get in touch with him through a historical society. (Or try the Betsy Ross house. I think that the guy who plays Franklin and the woman who plays Betsy Ross married a few years ago. I am not joking.)

Actually - here's an article. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/06/ben_franklin_betsy_ross_portra.html It has their names etc. You might find a way to contact them in it.

anita
#2 - September 01, 2011, 03:33 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa

I thought of exactly what Anita said. I think he'd be full of information.
#3 - September 01, 2011, 03:55 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Someone in my critique group is writing a novel that takes place in Revolutionary War Philadelphia. She's found the park rangers to be incredibly helpful. Laurie
#4 - September 01, 2011, 06:04 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

ecb

Blueboarder Car (Carmella Van Vleet) wrote a book about Franklin, AMAZING BEN FRANKLIN INVENTIONS YOU CAN BUILD YOURSELF. She'd probably be a great resource.
#5 - September 02, 2011, 01:26 PM

Poster Plus
Thanks, e!

I don't know about *expert* but I did spend the whole time chaperoning my oldest son's 8th grade Washington DC trip saying, "Did you know that Ben Franklin (did this cool thing or that cool thing or was friends with)."

Do you suppose that's why my second born refused to let me be a parent volunteer on *his* trip two year later? Hmmm....

I'd be happy to help anyway I can.
#6 - September 02, 2011, 02:26 PM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

ecb

Hee!  I thought you might *know* some experts, Car, from your own research! Although if I needed Ben Franklin info, I know where I'd go. :D
#7 - September 02, 2011, 03:53 PM

Poster Plus
Hee!  I thought you might *know* some experts, Car, from your own research! Although if I needed Ben Franklin info, I know where I'd go. :D

Oh. So, I'm *not* an expert? I'm just supposed to know one? Well, okay. I get it now. (sniff, sniff) See if I ever try to impress you with my vast wealth of knowledge of ol' Ben ever again. :-) 

[Note to LAC: I don't know any experts personally. My research was entirely from books, documentaries, museum visits etc. I could, however, direct you to a scholarly author or two who might be good. You could probably reach them via their website.]
#8 - September 02, 2011, 08:07 PM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

LAC

Thanks everyone!  I am off to the library now...I"m going to look for your book Carmella!  I just need an expert to look over it make sure it's accurate.  I found 2 history professors through googling.

Laura
#9 - September 03, 2011, 07:07 AM

Members: