SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

pretend town name

Discussion started on

I'm drawing a blank.  Anyone want to throw out a pretend town name -- for a small California town.

I like Greenville but that's already a town in NC.

Or Fairfax, but again, already a town.

Something with "Green" in it, of "Ville" attached to the end? Anything will be useful.   :help
#1 - September 07, 2011, 01:40 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Member.
Poster Plus
I don't think there's anything wrong with using the names you like, even if they are names of real towns. It would be jarring to the reader if it were a famous name - "Sally lived in the small town of Philadelphia in California" - but from what you described, you're not in any danger of that.
#2 - September 07, 2011, 01:55 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I think it's okay to use Greenville, since it is in a different state and there is not one in CA. After all, there something like 26 states which have a "Springfield," and The Simpons takes place in Springfield.

#3 - September 07, 2011, 01:56 PM

Is there any way to conjure up a town history to help? Is it old and based on some industry (Copperville or Loggerton)?

... Or named after a natural feature like Heather Lake or Twin Bluffs?

Is it new and developed all at once with a made-up-ish name like Pine Grove or Meadowville?
#4 - September 07, 2011, 01:57 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

There are tons of Greenvilles if you Google it! It's pretty generic. But there already is one in CA.

I threw the name "Kent" in my latest manuscript as the name of a small town in Maine, but then I googled it and there already is a Fort Kent, ME, so I changed it to Holt. A lot of the names in the book for both people and places come from historical figures who were radicals or spiritualists because it's a ghost story of sorts, so that's always an idea--maybe pick names based on people with some vague connection to the book's themes.
#5 - September 07, 2011, 02:08 PM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

Chronic
Poster Plus
I sometimes look at maps of other countries for ideas. Is there a Hastings or Greytown in Cali? We have an Orangeville up here you can borrow if you like  :moose
#6 - September 07, 2011, 02:16 PM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

RJ_Anderson

What about Greensbury?
#7 - September 07, 2011, 03:14 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I don't think there's anything wrong with using a town name that already exists somewhere else. As has been said, there is a Springfield in nearly every state, it seems! Sometimes I browse maps for town names in other states and see if I can insert that town into a new state.
#8 - September 07, 2011, 03:14 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
There's a town in Australia called Townsville. I love this name. I looked it up and they are having some sort of project they call 'Verde Townsville." Not only a town, and a 'Ville," but you get 'green' in Spanish to boot.
California has many Spanish names. Just a thought.
#9 - September 07, 2011, 04:24 PM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Poster Plus
When I make up town names .. I google to make sure there isn't one in the state in which the story is set .. other than that .. I don't worry. There are so many duplicate town names .. of even famous places. I think somebody once thought I was being snooty or deceitful when I casually mentioned something about our old apartment in Athens. I never fathomed that I sounded pretentious .. I'm from Georgia for Pete's sake.  (Athens, Georgia is where the University of Georgia is located ... and I guess somebody thought I was talking about Greece.) And I "think" there's a Paris, Texas around her somewhere.
#10 - September 07, 2011, 04:39 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Is there a Cottage Grove in CA? It's a small town in OR.
#11 - September 07, 2011, 04:56 PM

I think there are Greenvilles in almost every state, but I happen to be from the one in NC.  I hereby give you the name.  From now on, the town formerly known as Greenville will be called "Jainaburg."
#12 - September 07, 2011, 05:47 PM

I think there are Greenvilles in almost every state, but I happen to be from the one in NC.  I hereby give you the name.  From now on, the town formerly known as Greenville will be called "Jainaburg."

Wow, thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm furiously writing them down...   :turtlego:
#13 - September 08, 2011, 06:01 AM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Lush Arbor?
#14 - September 08, 2011, 06:25 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I would just keep in mind the climate / topography. In much of California, you'd be looking at beach, desert or mediterranean climate zones, or mountainy, or redwood forests - all pretty dry. To me, "Greenville" sounds more humid and lush (maybe bc I am thinking of it in terms of the South, tho!)  Also, as mentioned above, so many places in California have spanish-influenced names....

Santa Carmela
Verde Beach
Rocky Point
Plumdale
Almendra (if they are in central cali where almonds are grown - Almendra is Almond in spanish)
Sierra Grande
Great Pines
#15 - September 08, 2011, 06:58 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Green Acres.   (couldn't resist)

Fort Greensburg
Greeneburg
Green's Point
Green Pines

Mr. Greenjeans

softly leaving... :inbox:
#16 - September 08, 2011, 04:59 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
I'm going to agree with this:

I don't think there's anything wrong with using a town name that already exists somewhere else. As has been said, there is a Springfield in nearly every state, it seems! Sometimes I browse maps for town names in other states and see if I can insert that town into a new state.

but also Jennifer's comment on the Spanish influence & also region.  Are you talking more desert? SoCal? Bay Area? Greenville  is great for the desert. It has that hopefulness-dashed thing going on. I like playing with "Verde," especially in the San Diego area.

I make up my towns. My WL series is in Huntsdale, named thus bc of the Wild Hunt.  My adult is Claysville (bc of the life/death, return to the dirt/clay/soil thing). So, regional or plot are my suggestions. . .

Admittedly, I hear "Greenville" & think "which one? NC or SC?" The one in SC is one of the largest cities in the state, so I think it's not a name I'd pick . . . but that could be a regional reaction.    
#17 - September 08, 2011, 09:31 PM

Poster Plus
Why are you worried about this? No one is gonna sue you or anything.
#18 - September 09, 2011, 12:10 AM

I'm not worried about it. Just drawing a blank and thought I'd ask the smart people of the BB to fling out some interesting names, rather than stare at my paper with 800 names of my own .  :fishing

#19 - September 09, 2011, 06:11 AM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Poster Plus
I'm not worried about it. Just drawing a blank and thought I'd ask the smart people of the BB to fling out some interesting names, rather than stare at my paper with 800 names of my own .  :fishing

I think naming towns/cities is just about as hard as naming characters!
#20 - September 09, 2011, 03:55 PM

Some town names are not at all reflective of their areas or atmosphere, and appear inspired by irony. We all have driven through some desolate tumble named Euphoria or Paradise Hills or Ambrosia.
#21 - September 09, 2011, 04:44 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
There are lots of mountains and valleys out here. Green Hills? Mountain Green? Mountain Ville. Green Valley?

Have a shamrock  :)
#22 - September 27, 2011, 10:23 PM

A couple of years ago I wrote a manuscript requiring quite a few imaginary town names. Just for fun, I built the town names from variants of friends' and family members' names (eg. [Name]ton or [Name]ville). My sister was very excited to find a subtle reference to herself in the manuscript. If all else fails, perhaps you could do something similar as a sneaky "in joke" for a friend or relative. :)
#23 - September 27, 2011, 10:47 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
I have lived in California my whole life. We have a huge hispanic influence so what about Verdeville? Verde is green in Spanish. NAILED IT!
#24 - November 18, 2011, 03:01 PM

Members: