SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Comic SF/Fantasy YA

Discussion started on

jeffman

I'm looking for a list of scifi/horror/fantasy YA novels that are deliberately comic as well, especially dark comedy. The nearest thing that comes to mind is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but of course that's adult. Unfortunate Events also comes close, but that's really MG. Princess Bride is another. Maybe you can see where I'm going with this.

Any suggestions will be helpful, so please don't be shy. I'll just look them up on Amazon to see if they fit what I'm looking for.

TIA
#1 - September 11, 2011, 11:17 AM

Poster Plus
I think THE RISE OF RENEGADE X by Chelsea M. Campbell might fit what you're looking for. It's not all funny, all the time, but it's got a lot of darkly humorous moments and it's a really great book. (A boy born into a super villain family has to prove he's really the villain he believes he's meant to be once it comes out that his father is a superhero, and he could be too)
#2 - September 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
DEFY THE DARK - HarperTeen June 2013
http://valeriekwrites.blogspot.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
There's Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books (The Wee Free Men, A Hatful of Sky, Wintersmith, and one more whose name I'm blanking on).  And Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book.
#3 - September 11, 2011, 12:42 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

jeffman

Thanks. Somehow I've missed Terry Pratchett. Must investigate. I actually read The Graveyard Book last week. Loved it. Gaiman's so flexible.
#4 - September 11, 2011, 01:06 PM

Mike Jung

Oh oh oh, IMHO Adam Rex's THE TRUE MEANING OF SMEKDAY is the gold standad for this.
#5 - September 11, 2011, 01:43 PM

Oh oh oh, IMHO Adam Rex's THE TRUE MEANING OF SMEKDAY is the gold standad for this.

Loved it. Hilarious.

HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER is on the border between paranormal and horror, and is darkly funny. For example, the antagonist sends the mc a warning in the form of his friend's severed head. But the head remains alive and consents to being carried around in a bowling bag.

FEED it is pretty funny too, and satirical. Squarely science fiction.
#6 - September 11, 2011, 02:05 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I third SMEKDAY and Pratchett. I'd definitely add (for fantasy) his THE AMAZING MAURICE AND HIS EDUCATED RODENTS, which seems funnier to me than the Tiffany Aching books, which have very funny parts but are also bittersweet.

Ellen Booream's MG fantasies, SMALL PERSONS WITH WINGS and THE UNNAMEABLES have a lot of humor in them, mixed with seriousness.
#7 - September 11, 2011, 02:17 PM

jeffman

HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER and SMEKDAY just totally entered my shopping list. I'm so dense, I didn't realize HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER was one title instead of two. I'm like, "Do you know how many books are called NECROMANCER, dude?" Then the Elton John melody popped into my head, and I got it. Facepalm.
#8 - September 11, 2011, 02:22 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
How about GOING BOVINE by Libba Bray? Teenage stoner Cameron is diagnosed with mad cow disease, which is fatal - and also happens to cause hallucinations. We're presented with two parallel stories: snippets of Cameron in the hospital as he gets sicker, and Cameron on a hilarious - and possibly hallucinatory - roadtrip (this is most of the book) as he races towards a miracle cure. Definitely fits the bill for dark comedy, with an element of magic. Also, Cameron's journey parallels Don Quixote. All in all, it's an awesome book.
#9 - September 11, 2011, 02:25 PM

Piers Anthony starting with A SPELL FOR CHAMELEON.  Comedic fantasy. 
#10 - September 11, 2011, 02:28 PM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer
SHUFFLE, REPEAT (2016, Random House)
JILLIAN CADE: (FAKE) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR (2015, Soho Teen)

jeffman

BOVINE also went on the shopping list. Odd coincidence: There seem to be enough striking parallels that it might even help sell an editor on my soon-to-be polished WIP. (Also significant differences.)

#11 - September 11, 2011, 02:32 PM

jeffman

jenklein, thanks for reminding me about Piers Anthony.
#12 - September 11, 2011, 02:34 PM

Mike Jung

To continue with my perpetual Adam Rex sycontaphism, FAT VAMPIRE is also great.
#13 - September 11, 2011, 03:28 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Seconding FEED, since some of my favs are already on the shopping list.

Also DUST OF 100 DOGS! Surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet. Maybe it's too contemporary/historical?
#14 - September 11, 2011, 03:54 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan has a lot of funny moments. It's a steampunk story set at the beginning of World War I, but with imaginative futuristic technology.

#15 - September 12, 2011, 07:48 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

jeffman

Leviathan looks really interesting. I've wanted to do steampunk myself for a while. My first novel is a period piece, and that was a lot of fun.
#16 - September 12, 2011, 07:56 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Another thought...I haven't read it (just ordered it for one of my daughters because it sounds fun), but Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side sounds like it has a pretty good dollop of humor in it...which is about the only thing that can get me to read a book with vampires in it (not my cup of tea...or O+)
#17 - September 12, 2011, 08:00 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

jeffman

Marissa, I hear that. My daughter (14) seems to read about vampires all the time.
#18 - September 12, 2011, 08:17 AM

Simon Haynes

If I may be so bold ... have you looked up Hal Spacejock? It's trade published in Australia by Fremantle Press, and distributed here by Penguin. Recently released on Kindle worldwide.

Definitely SF/Humour, and although it was released as an adult series there are over 1000 copies in schools across Australia.
#19 - September 28, 2011, 07:57 PM

jeffman

I had not looked into it before, but it sounds fun. Put it in my shopping list. Thanks!
#20 - September 29, 2011, 05:30 AM

Well, mine's not coming out until next July-- but it's pretty humorous SF. If you're researching the market, hope that is helpful.
#21 - October 06, 2011, 01:36 AM
S.J. Kincaid, INSIGNIA
(July 10, 2012, Katherine Tegen Books)
http://www.sjkincaid.com

Owl Princess
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
VAMPIRE HAIKU by Ryan Mecum is dark comic fantasy. It isn't strictly YA (could be crossover/adult) and it's in haiku, but it's hilarious.

Here's my review of it on my blog (scroll to the third review):

http://boreal-owl.livejournal.com/72395.html

#22 - October 06, 2011, 09:13 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
https://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: https://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I liked Golden Girl and other Henry Melton books. As far as I can tell he is self published, but his books won some of the big awards.
#23 - October 06, 2011, 09:57 AM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Members: