SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Turtle's Guidelines

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
In the writer’s guidelines for U*S* Kids (Turtle)
It says
 “ILLUSTRATIONS
please do not send artwork. We prefer to work with professional illustrators of our own choosing.”

The question is where do they find there illustrators?

http://www.uskidsmags.com/writers-guidelines/
#1 - September 13, 2011, 03:05 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I think the answer to your question lies in the fact that your quote comes from Turtle's "writers" guidelines. 

I know this is not the case for you, Stephen, but most writers are not also professional illustrators.  TURTLE does not want "writers" including unprofessional illustrations with their writing, so they say, "Do not send artwork." 

If you want to illustrate for their magazine, then that would come under illustrator guidelines.  If they don't have such, I'd suggest emailing them and asking how you should submit to them?

Maybe someone else will have additional feedback for you, but this can get the discussion started.

Best wishes to you!
#2 - September 15, 2011, 11:30 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
That's the one periodical I have no contact name for. Best bet, find a copy of the mag and look at the masthead for the name of the AD and mail to her.
#3 - September 15, 2011, 03:48 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Thank you both
 I sent them an email about a week or so ago and still have not heard anything from them but if that changes I’ll post an update.
Hopefully someone else has an answer 
#4 - September 17, 2011, 03:30 AM

Members: