SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

YA title for book club this month

Discussion started on

ara

Thanks for voting!   :hearts
#1 - July 18, 2011, 06:59 PM

Assuming that this is for a women's book club, I voted for the one I thought would have the broadest appeal. I recommend a stand-alone book that's set either in the present or the past with a world that is not hard to envision. (The last book someone chose for my book club had was set in the early 18th century that was not well described, so several members gave up). I ruled out Uglies and Hunger Games because they are books that set up for sequels AND are futuristic/dystopian that require the reader to envision a very different "world".

#2 - July 18, 2011, 07:29 PM

ara

Ah! Good points, hazelnut! Yep, it's a women's book club. So far, we've read THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett, LITTLE BEE by Chris Cleave, and THE ENGLISH AMERICAN by Alison Larkin, all of which have been enjoyed.
#3 - July 18, 2011, 08:11 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I've used Uglies for a class I teach (university level) on nature and culture--I like the questions and issues the novel brings up about cultural beauty standards, limits (or not) to human improvement, and what is *natural*. Plus I just really want a hoverboard... :lol2  Many of my students got hooked and read the rest of the books as well (yay, reading!!)

I also just read Thirteen Reasons Why and The Book Thief, and both of them are amazing, the kind of books that haunt you.
#4 - July 19, 2011, 10:51 AM

ara

HelenR~I almost put THE BOOKS THIEF and THIRTEEN REASONS WHY on the poll. That's so cool you teach UGLIES! Must be a fun class!!!  :goldstar
#5 - July 19, 2011, 03:09 PM

ara

Thanks for voting, everyone! I chose SPEAK. I think they're all going to love it.  :thankyou
#6 - July 20, 2011, 11:19 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Wonderful choice! 
#7 - August 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
Ann Redisch Stampler

www.annstampler.blogspot.com
www.annstampler.com
@annstampler

ara

Thanks, Ann! They wound up loving it. I'm hoping it opened their eyes to the fact that there's a whole world of awesome YA reads out there.
#8 - September 05, 2011, 01:01 PM

Members: