SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights/High Five question

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I was under the impression that submissions to Highlights and to High Five were sort of together.  At least, I didn't see separate guidelines for High Five.  Am I just missing them?

I had sent a story to Highlights.  Received a rejection yesterday with a nice personal note on it.  "..., but it feels too young for Highlights."

If it's too young for Highlights, do they automatically consider it for High Five?  JD didn't mention High Five in her note.  I.e., she didn't say, "And it's not right for High Five either."

Did she just not say that, but I can assume that's the case?
#1 - September 15, 2011, 11:23 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Sorry about the R, Ev! :hug

I actually never was under the impression that they had the approach of "a sub to one is a sub to all".  My sub to High Five was sent directly there (I used the masthead information).  And my form R came directly from them too.  :sigh  I think you could probably assume HF hasn't seen it, and send it there.

I know some here have gotten acceptances from HF, so hopefully they'll chime in....
#2 - September 15, 2011, 11:42 AM

kathym44

Sorry about the R. I've subbed poems separately to High Five. The editor is Kathleen Hayes. The response was speedy, which was nice.  Good luck!
#3 - September 15, 2011, 12:27 PM

kathym44

Ev...there's an older post(2009) on this subject. Couldn't figure out how to copy the link for you (I'm on my IPad and not sure if there's a way to do it). Anyway if you type "highlights high five submissions website" in the search box, it should get you there.
#4 - September 15, 2011, 12:55 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks for all the help!  Kathy, I didn't find the thread you were talking about, but I did find this one:

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=26220.0

which told me that my story is probably too long for High Five.

I appreciate the input.

Best wishes!
Ev
#5 - September 15, 2011, 06:20 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Ev,
I've sold several things to Highlights/Highlights High Five.  My experience has been a sub to one is a sub to all.  I established a relationship with a High Five editor and usually sub directly to her, but the contracts just say Highlights and do not specify which mag it will appear in.  I think you might be right that it may be a case of word length.  Or it could be that you subbed a type of genre that is only pubbed in Highlights and not in High Five?
Whatever the case, I'm sure another mag will snap it up in a minute. 
Rebecca 
#6 - September 15, 2011, 07:29 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

I always sub to them separately--to JD at Highlights and KH at High Five. However, I do receive contracts from both in a single envelope.

The stuff I have sent to them so far (only poems) was pretty different in terms of length and/or simplicity. I wouldn't have expected it to get bounced. But I know of at least one person who subbed to High Five and then it was bounced to Highlights for consideration because it seemed a bit older.

If you're unsure and think it might work for High Five, you could always give that a try.
#7 - September 16, 2011, 08:00 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Also, here's a quote I found at: http://www.kidmagwriters.com/old_reports/reports/high-five_2007_report.htm

[note: deleted because it appears to be outdated information]
#8 - September 16, 2011, 08:08 AM
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:04 PM by DianaM »

Since that 2007 note, hasn't Marileta retired or left Highlights or something?
#9 - September 16, 2011, 10:30 AM
CITY STREET BEAT (2014)
LOOK WHAT I CAN DO! (2013)
STORM SONG (2013)
SAMANTHA HANSEN HAS ROCKS IN HER HEAD (2008)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Yes, Marileta has retired.
#10 - September 16, 2011, 11:22 AM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

Ah, well there you go. I'll go back and delete that since it's out of date. :)
#11 - September 16, 2011, 12:00 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
My two cents: I subbed a recipe once to HL which got bumped over to and published in High Five. Also, I was looking back at my (sketchy) notes from Chautauqua '09, and it looks like KH at High Five said to sub to HL and it would get considered for HF.
#12 - September 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
(I didn't know Marileta retired!  Loved Marileta!)
#13 - September 17, 2011, 05:47 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Although High Five does take submissions now, I do know that if something sent to Highlights seems right for High Five, they'll pass it along. But High Five runs super super short word counts. And the style is really different from a Highlights story. So my guess would be that "too young for Highlights" means "too young for Highlights and not structured quite like High Five." I received a "too young for us" rejection recently from Highlights, but I knew the story was too long and not really written like a High Five story so I wasn't really surprised that if Highlights didn't like it, High Five didn't work either.
#14 - October 09, 2011, 07:05 PM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've had subs rejected for Highlights and they mention that it's not quite the right voice for H5 ... so I assume that a rej from H is a rej from H5 as well. They all pass stuff around.
Vijaya
#15 - October 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: